Fish Ideas for 55 Gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karumona

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new, so... Hello!
I need some help from you guys. I don't know what to put in the tank. I had Angelfish in it but they died unfortunately. So I'm looking for ideas. I would like the tank to have color and be a community. So any ideas are welcome, but no really aggresive fish. Thanks!

You could do a school of rainbows, a pair of apistos/rams, and an angel ? I'm not sure if you could add more hopefully someone else will chime in.

First off do you know how to cycle your tank? That could be why your angelfish died

Welcome to AA, Karumona.
Good people willing to help you. Great forum. How long has your tank been set up? OS.

It's been set up for 4 years now. I've breed my Angelfish in it but they died when I left my mom to take care off them, while I was out of the state.

Oh ok haha that makes sense it's cycled and stuff. Look into more new world cichlids! Take a look at green terrors, jack Dempsey, Firemouth, convicts. For tankmates look into picture or Raphael catfish. If you want odd fish that are sure to attract attention get 2 rope fish! Or look into a community with tetras Cory cats and pearl gouramis. I recommend the cichlids though you won't regret it!

Not a problem I would really consider breeding green terror cichlids absolutely beautiful fish look into it!

Don't go to the dark side haha! Almost all Cichlid keepers on this forum have Africans. I think it would be neat to do something out of the ordinary like breed aggressive new worlds but that's just my opinion. Here's why I like green terrors they don't get absolutely Massive and talk about color!

Don't go to the dark side haha! Almost all Cichlid keepers on this forum have Africans. I think it would be neat to do something out of the ordinary like breed aggressive new worlds but that's just my opinion.
I'm just now planning my first African tank! I've kept oscars and jacks and yes very fun but in a 55 your too limited with SA. A 55 is a great way to get into Africans because its just enough room to make you want more ;)

I see your point I mean you can't have loads of fish but I think 2 larger 8 inch beautiful breeding fish are more impressive then small colorful fish just my opinion again. But it's not like green terrors are ugly haha ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391664117.516826.jpg

I see your point I mean you can't have loads of fish but I think 2 larger 8 inch beautiful breeding fish are more impressive then small colorful fish just my opinion again. But it's not like green terrors are ugly haha

No they are very beautiful fish I definetly do agree! But how about something out of the ordinary that you don't see every day!

Attachments

• ca11c.jpg
    ca11c.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 43
I suppose so but I don't see terrors bred all the time either it seems rare for someone to even do it anymore. I feel like I see Africans of all kinds everywhere anymore. Idk it's just what my biased mind thinks haha.

I suppose so but I don't see terrors bred all the time either it seems rare for someone to even do it anymore. I feel like I see Africans of all kinds everywhere anymore. Idk it's just what my biased mind thinks haha.

We all do that. He also did say a community and colors and not aggresive

I guess the op did say that haha I just thought colors and personality and the op said they bred angels so i was thinking maybe they want to continue breeding. Africans are aggressive to. Sure they have lots of colors but mix any wrong species or have the wrong ratios your in a world of Hurt.

Ok haha some other fish you might want to research if you don't want a larger Cichlid is cockatoo cichlids, rainbow fish, yoyo loaches and red tailed sharks all are cool fish that go well together.

I guess he did say that haha I just thought colors and personality but I mean Africans are aggressive to. Sure they have lots of colors but mix any wrong species or have the wrong ratios your in a world of Hurt.

Yes that's true as well. If you did africans, stick to 1M/3F ratio to avoid aggression. If you needed help with that, there is tons here. But yes I do love SA just as much, very personable guys and when I had my last oscars I loved hand feeding them! Or watching them catch rosy reds!

Back
Top Bottom