Fish selection for 20L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnythan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm making a planted 20L right now and I'm thinking about fish.

Here's what I'd like:

4-5 green tiger barbs
4-5 Serpae tetras
2 of some variety of cory

I understand tiger barbs can be a bit nippy on other fish, and Serpae tetras might as well. Should I reconsider my selections?

I think you should reconsider just because that is way over stocking a 5g/20L tank. Go look at some stocking lists and stuff. IMO i would get a couple of tetras. and some ottos.

Wouldn't the tiger barbs be much more likely to pick on and nip at small fish with big fins like guppies?

Sorry....I should have been more clear. I'd avoid the barbs and sepae tetras totally and go with something less aggressive like the livebearers.

In a tank that size, I'd probably do the tiger barbs and the cories and stop there--with some strong consideration for a bristlenose pleco, too.

The barbs would be very cool in a bigger group by themselves.

In a tank that size, I'd probably do the tiger barbs and the cories and stop there--with some strong consideration for a bristlenose pleco, too.

The barbs would be very cool in a bigger group by themselves.
I agree with this ^^^^. I would go with 6-7 barbs and maybe 4 or so cories. ( {Johhny Tuttle} Correct me if i'm wrong ) And a BN pleco would look good and would help keep your tank cleaner.

6-7 tiger barbs and 4 cories sounds great. That actually would be a very pretty tank, particularly where you've suggested the green tigers, a personal favorite (when I see them in the store, anyhoo).

Another option instead of the cories would be some sort of loach, but I would rely on the advice of others here--I think loaches are tough enough to be with barbs, but they can be shy, nocturnal, and big, depending on what you get.

I went to the local fish store and saw some great fish.

They had a display tank with green tiger barbs and some other barbs the dude said were "Indian fire barbs." They were a bright orange and red color and looked fantastic in the tank. I couldn't find much info about them online, but they look a bit like cherry barbs.

I think I'll be doing that. A few green tiger barbs, a few of these fire barbs, and a couple of corys.

I thought about loaches, but all of the attractive loaches I see tend to get very large over time, so I ruled them out. I've always wanted a few clown loaches.

Back
Top Bottom