fishless cycling journal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
should i do 50% or 25% water changes when dealing with nitrites and not knowing the levels?

when you're unsure, the bigger the PWC the better. 25% will do almost nothing for you. i would go even bigger than 50%, and do daily 75% water changes. better safe than sorry! :)

i just did something dumb bc i wasnt thinking i dumped in tap water without the dechlorinator but i added it in like 2 seconds after i did that are my fish gonna be ok i poured alot of dechlorinator in the tank?

allaboutfish said:
i just did something dumb bc i wasnt thinking i dumped in tap water without the dechlorinator but i added it in like 2 seconds after i did that are my fish gonna be ok i poured alot of dechlorinator in the tank?

You're fine IME, just stir it with your hand a bit. Your filter and bubbler (if you have one) will stir it too.

I'd say that you only need to do it under those occasionally. Don't ruin your whole aquascape every week. :p

allaboutfish said:
oh and with the sand thing what about under rock and under dw and stuff?

I don't worry about it. Like I said, if someone ever has factual confirmation of gas in a sand bed actually killing a fish, then I'll worry about it and from all the research I've done on sand and DSB no one can honestly say it happened to them. I'm sure it's possible, but so is winning the lottery lol.

haha are there any other animals that will sturr up my sand that wont have to mutch bioload bc im pretty nuch at my limit on fish

allaboutfish said:
haha are there any other animals that will sturr up my sand that wont have to mutch bioload bc im pretty nuch at my limit on fish

If you don't have too big of fish, shrimp are great. Petco has ghost shrimp for .49 each. A LFS sells them as feeders for .08 each near me :D.

this is will be my stocking btw
6-red phantom tetras or green fire tetras,
2-bolivian rams (females),
1-rubberlip pleco,
1-dwarf gourami,
6-juli corys.

ok so going to walmart to try and fine ammonia for my 29 and a nitrite and nitrate tester and hopefully a heater. anything else i might need to cycle?

a notebook to record all your test results and anything else you want to remember. and patience! :)

so i got a heater today (tetra 30-60) anybody have this filter (opps meant heater)? also if you havent seen my new stoc,king here it is
8-mosquito rasboras,
1-german blue ram,
1- dwarf gourami,
1-bristlenose pleco,
8-juli corys,
6-ghost shrimp.
i can remove the pleco if needed

allaboutfish said:
so i got a heater today (tetra 30-60) anybody have this filter? also if you havent seen my new stoc,king here it is
8-mosquito rasboras,
1-german blue ram,
1- dwarf gourami,
1-bristlenose pleco,
8-juli corys,
6-ghost shrimp.

Don't know the filter, I prefer Aqua Clear filters. Good stock list, did you get the ghosties yet?

oh no, i havent even got the stand for my tank yet so still go cycle to i was just setting it up for the future and thanks!

so i got a heater today (tetra 30-60) anybody have this filter (opps meant heater)? also if you havent seen my new stoc,king here it is
8-mosquito rasboras,
1-german blue ram,
1- dwarf gourami,
1-bristlenose pleco,
8-juli corys,
6-ghost shrimp.

Yeah, I have that brand of heater, it sucks. ._. I highly recommend you invest in one where you can adjust the temp manually.

actuallly this heater you can adjust it:) it has a knob on it but i have another tetra one in my ten and it cant be adjusted which i dont like bc it keeps it a 75 not 78

Back
Top Bottom