Fitting new lights to a square tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found a square tank and stand by the dumpster (yay for free things!) and I'd like to plan a layered look of plants. I know for my plans I will need more light. Right now I think it has about 1 watt per gallon. At least that is what I am guessing. I need to measure the tank to find out just how big it is for sure. But I can't imagine it is more than 20 gallons, probably 15. The shape is throwing me off.

Anyway, this tank is a square tank and I have no clue what to do with it for lighting. Its current lighting it built into a top that was specifically made to come with this tank. Does anyone have any ideas on custom fitting new lighting to this thing? Or is it just as easy as putting in a different bulb to the built in tank top (with maybe some wiring to make things compatible)?

Thanks!

PS - I did already test the tank for 24 hours with water. No leaks. :D

Wow, free tanks? What mad man would throw away a tank? Make sure it doesn't leak. Hanging something over the tank may be an option although you do lose lighting due to distance.

theotheragentm said:
Wow, free tanks? What mad man would throw away a tank? Make sure it doesn't leak. Hanging something over the tank may be an option although you do lose lighting due to distance.

I already checked once (24 hour test) when I first got it, then it was shuffled into storage because I have had quite the transit lifestyle in the last year. I will be checking it again tonight. Do you think 24 hours is enough time? The glass is thin, but my last tank was a 55 gallon and so I think I am just used to a thicker glass.

I will get measurements tonight.

I would leak test for more like a week. Better safe than sorry IMO and leaks may not show up after only 24 hours worth of water weight on the seals.

pooh.... I'd like to do it outside but it is supposed to snow this weekend.... And I do not have a garage either.

Back
Top Bottom