Fluval 405 need help now please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay my fluval was some how over heating (I don't know if that's even possible) so I opened it up and poured fresh water into the top and some fell into the media bite so it would have killed some of the good bacteria, as soon as I released my mistake I poured some stress coat into the filter. Would I have killed some if not all the bacteria?

What can I do to correct this?
Will I be able to get away with this I have lots of plants in my tank
10 Indian ferns
5 java ferns
5 amazon swords
Java moss and some other plants

I won't be feeding them tonight just in case I did kill a load of Bactria

I have 7 tiger barbs
7 pearl danios and 5 Otos
I'm going to a pet shop to Oreos so should I buy some stress zym?
Thanks

Were you using dechlorinated water? If so, hopefully your bacterial colonies weren't affected much.

The only way to tell if or how much your colonies were impacted though is to get everything up and running, test your water parameters regularly, and wait and see.

As to the Fluval overheating, I don't know anything about that kind of filter as I've never had one.

No it was straight out of the tap :/
I'm so worried I'll test my water twice a day the first sigh of a spike I'll do a part water change or something

No it was straight out of the tap :/
I'm so worried I'll test my water twice a day the first sigh of a spike I'll do a part water change or something

Straight from the tap, ouchie. :(

You may have impacted your bacteria colony -- the good news is, there will still be bacteria on your substrate, decorations, plants, the inside of the tank walls, and these will reseed your filter.

I agree, test frequently and do water changes as necessary to handle any spikes you get, but with bacteria still on the other surfaces, this shouldn't be like recycling from scratch.

Good luck!

Okay tbh it was only about 50 ml that went in and I added stress coat within 10 seconds.
How long will it be until I'm in the all clear 2 weeks?
I'll keep a close eye on it I'll just feed them a little less then usual for a week or so thank you

Okay tbh it was only about 50 ml that went in and I added stress coat within 10 seconds.
How long will it be until I'm in the all clear 2 weeks?
I'll keep a close eye on it I'll just feed them a little less then usual for a week or so thank you

First, let it be known that what follows is speculation -- I like to think it's somewhat informed speculation based on my reading, but speculation nevertheless.

That said, less than two weeks, I would think.

If you harmed the colony to the point that they can no longer keep up with the bioload of the tank, I'd imagine you'd start getting detectable levels of ammonia and/or nitrite within a couple of days.

If the first few days go by without any detectable reading, I'd think you're good.

Okay thank you for putting me at ease i thought I killed all of it.
I'm probably going to be near a fish place for the next 3 or 4 days so I'll just get it tested everyday. Thank you so so much

Okay thank you for putting me at ease i thought I killed all of it.
I'm probably going to be near a fish place for the next 3 or 4 days so I'll just get it tested everyday. Thank you so so much

You're welcome.

As an aside, have you thought about getting your own test kit?

I love that it saves me trips to my local fish store (and gasoline expense!), and it comes in really handy if I want to test my parameters when it's after hours or on holidays with the local fish stores are closed.

Good luck!

Yeah iv got one for ammonia but I don't use that really. I have a reptile so we go to a per shop every other day so I just get it tested then.

Sorry but iv just remember something it might be really good news, earlier I done a 10% water change and 10% in my tank is about 40L when I do them i put the water in a 40L bucket and add the stress coat but I added a little too much, I added enough for 60L so would that still be present in the tank when I added tap water?
Would the mistake with the stress coat cancel out the tap water mistake?

Yeah iv got one for ammonia but I don't use that really. I have a reptile so we go to a per shop every other day so I just get it tested then.

Sorry but iv just remember something it might be really good news, earlier I done a 10% water change and 10% in my tank is about 40L when I do them i put the water in a 40L bucket and add the stress coat but I added a little too much, I added enough for 60L so would that still be present in the tank when I added tap water?
Would the mistake with the stress coat cancel out the tap water mistake?

It's theoretically possible I suppose -- but your tests in the next few days will tell you for sure.

My advice? Relax. Just test the water, and do water changes as necessary if it comes to it. Do that, and you'll be just fine either way.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom