Fully stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My current inhabitants are
7 tiger barbs
5 yoyo loaches
3 polka dot pictus cats
1 spotted Raphael cat
2 bristlenose plecs

I'm running an emperor 400 for filtration with a power head circulating the other side of the tank. My nitrates are always under 20 even 10 days in between water changes. So as the title says, could I add anything else?

The reason I'm asking is because I saw some black ghost knifes, and a featherfin squeaker. I was wondering if I could get 1 of those.

I honestly don't know a lot about the fish you have.. though to me it looks like you have an awful lot on the bottom level and I'm not sure how much more I'd add to that.

Hopefully someone with more know how on these fish will chime in though

Well tiger barbs are considered a community fish but can get nippy with some fish, depending on there fins, ... I used to have a black ghost knife and they're awesome, however, they need a lot of hiding places merely bc they are a nocturnal fish. If you get one id be careful down the road, they can get pretty big over time and will eat anything in can fit in its mouth(neon tetras, etc)

I heard of making "ghost tubes" for hiding spots. Is that something you would advise?

You could, they're mainly to make the fish think they're hiding but its really for you to be able to see them lol id get a cave of some sort

I have one that none of my fish are currently "living in". My only concern is the bioload if the ghost. How big it it?

jackwagon said:
I have one that none of my fish are currently "living in". My only concern is the bioload if the ghost. How big it it?

He should be fine.. they mainly only eat at night. I used to feed mine frozen blood worms, they usually get sold at about 2-3inches and I've seen them get as big as 1ft

DanS180 said:
He should be fine.. they mainly only eat at night. I used to feed mine frozen blood worms, they usually get sold at about 2-3inches and I've seen them get as big as 1ft

Will they generally eat any carnivorous food?

jackwagon said:
Will they generally eat any carnivorous food?

I'm sure they'll eat other food but the only thing I could ever get mine to eat were blood worms, used to hand feed him

DanS180 said:
I'm sure they'll eat other food but the only thing I could ever get mine to eat were blood worms, used to hand feed him

That's awesome! That's part of the reason I want one! Do you think that the compatibility will be ok?

jackwagon said:
That's awesome! That's part of the reason I want one! Do you think that the compatibility will be ok?

I would say yes for the time being.. only thing id worry about is the tiger barbs possibly nipping the BGK. So provide lots of hiding places so he has an escape just incase

DanS180 said:
I would say yes for the time being.. only thing id worry about is the tiger barbs possibly nipping the BGK. So provide lots of hiding places so he has an escape just incase

Ok thanks for the info. Any other tips?

jackwagon said:
Ok thanks for the info. Any other tips?

That's pretty much it, just lots of hiding places and that's it.. don't be surprised if u don't c him for periods of time, they love to hide

DanS180 said:
That's pretty much it, just lots of hiding places and that's it.. don't be surprised if u don't c him for periods of time, they love to hide

Ok thanks. If/when I get one I will post pics with updated setup. Just two more questions How hardy are they and will he stand up to the tiger barbs? Also do they current

jackwagon said:
Ok thanks. If/when I get one I will post pics with updated setup. Just two more questions How hardy are they and will he stand up to the tiger barbs? Also do they current

Believe it or not they r a decent hardy fish, had him in my tank when I went on vacation and my brother didn't take care of it, had a spike the day I left I'm assuming and he lived thru it :) , and I'm not sure about the tiger barbs to be honest, once he gets bigger he should be fine but for when you first buy him, I'm not too sure.

Ok thanks for the info I will add 2-3 caves for him if I get him

Back
Top Bottom