GH and KH Buffering Experiment.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah...OK. I read the instructions and the chart seems kind of all over the place. DO you understand it. The chart for my test runs backwards. The more you add of the tritrant, the less K you have.

Ah...OK. I read the instructions and the chart seems kind of all over the place. DO you understand it. The chart for my test runs backwards. The more you add of the tritrant, the less K you have.

On my test kit (?) the chart kind of makes sense but I've also gone with a reading that I thought made sense as well.

From memory that sounds familiar - the more tritrant added, the less K. The colour change is quite distinct so I like that.

Now I've used the coral shop k test a few times I'm fairly quick with it. The main problem is still measuring 1ml with 1ml syringes. I've picked up some 2ml syringes to try.

The local guy at the aquarium society said he likes to add grit for KH when we were talking, he said the oyster shell grit from the feed store is the cheapest, then coral. Either works just fine. I haven't used either yet. I was thinking of adding a pile of broken cuttle bones into the canister filter and might just do that next time. I think because it is soft on the one side it would release much more calcium than the grit.

The tests are very interesting. I need to look through all my test kits and see if there are any for things other than the standard master test kit stuff. I just bought a "lot" of stuff from a hobbyist and there were all the master stuff but about 4 extra test boxes.

As for the tests with crushed coral, are dead corals known to have notable K?

The local guy at the aquarium society said he likes to add grit for KH when we were talking, he said the oyster shell grit from the feed store is the cheapest, then coral. Either works just fine. I haven't used either yet. I was thinking of adding a pile of broken cuttle bones into the canister filter and might just do that next time. I think because it is soft on the one side it would release much more calcium than the grit.

The tests are very interesting. I need to look through all my test kits and see if there are any for things other than the standard master test kit stuff. I just bought a "lot" of stuff from a hobbyist and there were all the master stuff but about 4 extra test boxes.

I'm still trying to find the answer. I'm reviewing D. Walstad's book very closely. She has a lot of numbers about a lot of things. Especially about nutrients and minerals. She does seem to say that there is some in that material but never says how much. She also says a small amount may or may not come from the tap. Most of it comes from fish food. I'm going to keep reading...She often mentions something then goes into more detail a few chapters later.

Darn it - now I'm wondering myself. :)

I've never really heard of it. It's generally some variation of calcium / magnesium carbonate. It's possible some potassium is in there but I'd normally work-wise consider the value low but for a SW aquarium keeper, it might be high.

I don't have any assays of coral. I think I have some of limestone so will check that out tomorrow. Not ideal so have been trying to find something on Internet without any luck so far.

This article suggests some is used in coral skeleton?

http://www.joy-reef.com/en/potassium/

Darn it - now I'm wondering myself. :)

I've never really heard of it. It's generally some variation of calcium / magnesium carbonate. It's possible some potassium is in there but I'd normally work-wise consider the value low but for a SW aquarium keeper, it might be high.

I don't have any assays of coral. I think I have some of limestone so will check that out tomorrow. Not ideal so have been trying to find something on Internet without any luck so far.

This article suggests some is used in coral skeleton?

Potassium - Joy reef

Yes it seems to say that right out. I always thought they were mostly Calcium Carbonate, A bit of Magnesium, and perhaps a tinsy bit of strontium if grown in the actual ocean. Potassium is a new one on me. Maybe we will all learn something cool.

Yes it seems to say that right out. I always thought they were mostly Calcium Carbonate, A bit of Magnesium, and perhaps a tinsy bit of strontium if grown in the actual ocean. Potassium is a new one on me. Maybe we will all learn something cool.

Well, yeah but darn it - all this research! I knew I should of got budgies.... Lol.

Budgies are parakeets that originated from Australia. I had to look up that last part because I thought the two names were interchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It would make sense in a way that there would be many minerals in coral skeleton/crushed coral (I am no scientist here) because there are so many in the salt mixes.

One reason some people wonder about not being able to keep some kinds of live corals and "delicate" creatures, wondering if it is due to something missing from our "man made" salt and environment, that would otherwise be in the creatures home naturally.

I wonder if the skeletons would vary on mineral content depending on if they came from the ocean (one vs. another, and / or our skeletons from our SW tanks) As in nutritionally deficient if from our deficient tanks or better because of how well the salt mixes (like a multivitamin) are formulated; or our tanks. Or for that matter, one type of coral vs. a different kind. Just a side thought or wonderment. :)

I did see something on mineral banding and zoning (maybe seasonal - not sure). I guess this might reflect the environment but maybe the coral is doing something as well?

Will see if I come across it again. Unfortunately most were locked away scientific papers.

Back
Top Bottom