Ghost/glass Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nocturn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Saw these at the local petstore last I was in, any experiances with them? I thought they were pretty shnazzy. Would they work in a 5 gallon with a couple other tankmates?

Not in a 5g tank Nocturn; they get to be around 5-6 inches long. Plus, they are a schooling cat; a minimum of 3 is recommended, although 6 is a better amount. They will eat very small fish and fry.

Nocturn...

Allivymar is correct in saying that a 5-gallon tank isn't adequate for these fish. Just some additional information:

Kryptopterus bicirrhis, the Glass Catfish, comes from India and the Great Sunda Islands. Unlike many catfish they aren't particularly nocturnal. They're happiest in a heavily planted tank and should be kept in a small group. They don't particularly enjoy active tank-mates like Barbs and Danios, though they will get along with any fish that isn't too big to swallow. They reach a length of about 11.5 cm (about 4 1/2 inches). K. bicirrhis will eat flake food on occasion but should be given frozen or live food on a regular basis. They are not bottom-feeders and aren't really good as a 'clean up' fish. They generally ignore any food that falls to the bottom of the tank.

I have 7 Ghost cats. They are great. I mean they arent a fish for children because they only come out when its dark or they feel really comfortable. If you put them in a tank where something is going to intimidate them. I wouldnt expect to see em often. But if you have lots of plants and rocks they will be just fine and comfortable and you will see them often. They are very fast when they want to be. I am just basing this on what i know from owning them. I am no expert on these fish. They are from asia I believe and should be housed with peacefull community fish. I heard on the forum somewhere that they are susceptable to ich. Acclimate them slow they are probably a little more delicate than average although I have not had a problem with Illness or eating (they like bloodworms).

PS I say minimum 20g long for these guys as they like to be in numbers.

Dela

They're awesome! See-through fish!! And darn cool ones! I like them a lot more than the Glass Tetras (the ones that get "painted" :( )I first saw Kryptopterus bicirrhus for the first time in June and was *blown* away. I'll get some at some point, but I'm a real stickler over big fish in small tanks, and wouldn't accomodate these guys in anything under 90 gallons. :wink: Of course, most ppl's standards a a little less extreme, so I'm sure they'd look fine and feel relatively comfortable in a 30 if you have one.

IMHO a 5-gallon tank is really far too small for all but a very few fish. I would feel confortable putting a betta in there, or a small school of white cloud minnows, but not much else. I know, I know... lots of ppl on this site have 5 gallons, so I'll quit while I'm ahead!

:wink: *ducks and runs for cover* :wink:

nah 5 g are cool its just that these get 5+ inches.
as far as asia I guess I was misunderstood or given bad info :-( it hurts.

dela

HEHE fruitbat. i guess its a little ignorance on my part. (below)

Dela.....Asia works just fine!! :D India IS in Asia, after all. There are other species of Kryptopterus that are found in other areas of the continent. Kryptopterus macrocephalus is found throughout the islands of the East Indies. It isn't quite as transparent as Kryptopterus bicirrhis and is less commonly found in pet stores.

Back
Top Bottom