Glofish Keep Dying New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well if that's the case then that's good. As I said, I wasn't sure if I was misreading.

Whether it's done or not, it's still worth clarifying for other people that stumble across this thread.

It is a huge difference, that fish can adapt to if they're acclimated accordingly. A fish used to a pH of 7 will adapt to a pH of 8. What they won't tolerate is constant swings up and down the scale.

As long as the ph doesn't crash any time soon we aren't too worried about it since the tank is cycling without fish. Once it's cycled we'll test for ph consistency and go from there.

My understanding​ is that bekershpd took some, but not all, of her mother's media. She already has the new AquaClear set up and running. Other members have advised that Mama B keep an eye on her cycle.

And whatever you think she should do, it's all already done.

There is a wide degree of pH that most fish can adapt to, but no, it does matter if the pH is 7 or 8. That's a huge difference-- bigger than the difference between 6 and 7 because the scale is logarithmic.

+1. Thanks for clarifying.

Odd... I have bladder, nerite, and MTS in 6.5...

May explain why I couldn't keep mystery though.

Things are still moving along. Last night the ammonia had dropped to 1ppm and nitrates were up to 40ppm. Still no nitrites. I dosed ammonia back up to 4ppm. It seems the bacteria are doing their job!

I bought a piece of driftwood to see what affect it would have on my pH. I have it soaking right now. I will probably wait until the tank is cycled before I put it in.

I'd go ahead and throw the driftwood in there.

There's a chance that you might not have to go through the nitrite phase if your nitrates are converting the ammonia that quickly. It'll be interesting to see.

Ok, I will post my results after I get them tonight. If the ammonia keeps falling, do I keep adding more?

Also, I've been experimenting with my tap water. Right out of the faucet it is 8.4. I left it out for 36 hours, and it's now 7.6. I should easily be able to leave water out prior to water changes. This should help the fish survive and hopefully thrive. I'm going to keep testing to make sure, but that's the plan for now.

Ok- same results as last night: ammonia 1ppm; Nitrite 0ppm; Nitrate 40ppm; pH 7.6.

Should I add more ammonia?

Update: I'm still not seeing any nitrites. I dose the ammonia up to 4ppm and after 24 hrs, my readings have gone down to 1ppm. Nitrates have shot up to 80ppm!

That's good! Keep checking. When ammonia zeros out after dosing a few times you'll be there.

Holding steady around 7.4.

There's a good chance it's done. I don't think you'll put enough fish in there to need a nitrifying colony that will convert 4ppm of ammonia in my opinion. Others may disagree, but if it were my tank, I'd do a large water change, dose to about 3ppm and see what happens overnight.

There's a good chance it's done. I don't think you'll put enough fish in there to need a nitrifying colony that will convert 4ppm of ammonia in my opinion. Others may disagree, but if it were my tank, I'd do a large water change, dose to about 3ppm and see what happens overnight.

Sounds good! Thanks for the advice! How much is a large water change? 75% or more?

Go for 80%

Ok, I did the big water change yesterday and dosed to 3ppm ammonia. After the water change yesterday, the nitrates were 0. Today the ammonia is 0 and I think the nitrates are 5ppm (hard to read the chart). Is 5ppm ok for me to stock the tank? Nitrites are 0 and pH is 7.4.

I would just add 2 or 3 fish. You should see a mini cycle while the bacteria builds up to eat the new ammonia, once ammonia and nitrites go back to 0 add a few more. Just my opinion and how I stocked my tank.

Pick some hearty fish, I used the same tiger barbs to cycle 2 different tanks

Back
Top Bottom