Glofish Keep Dying New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chiming in, what decor are you using ? Did you ditch any seashells ?

That tentacle looking ornament has a bad reputation for becoming sticky and either poisoning or polluting tanks. I'd remove it if you still have it ASAP.
Many Betta keepers on FB have accounts of that ornament being an issue.

Once your 65 is cycled I would add to your Glo Tetra group. Skirt Tetras are a little nippy, not as bad as Tiger Barbs, but can be bratty. So a large group will keep more fins intact.

I like Harlequin Rasboras or Cherry Barbs. Mine have been very hardy.

Cories are a favorite if you use a soft sand substrate.

View attachment 299405

Thanks for the heads up on the decoration. I do still have it in the tank, but I will remove it. I am
Planning on getting a new decoration (Easter Island statues) for the new tank, but I want to use some of the gravel and fake plants from my 10 gallon. I want this tank to be full of fish not "stuff"!

I was considering other Tetras, including skirt. I really like Tiger barbs, but I don't want them bullying my Tetras. I'm also on the fence about danios. I think they would be peaceful with my Tetras, but I hear they're pretty hyper. Thoughts?

I wouldn't say Danio are hyper. They're active, always swimming around, darting out of each other's way, but I've seen crazier fish.

If you get the 65 all set up how you want it, then you'll be able to move your filter from your current tank over at the same time as the fish and that'll be your tank cycled. I've set up all my subsequent tanks by taking some sponge/ceramics out of the first filter and putting it in the new one, then thrown the fish in and they're all doing great, even Otos and shrimp which are notoriously finicky little ... things.

I'm so glad to hear everything's going well :)

I wouldn't say Danio are hyper. They're active, always swimming around, darting out of each other's way, but I've seen crazier fish.

If you get the 65 all set up how you want it, then you'll be able to move your filter from your current tank over at the same time as the fish and that'll be your tank cycled. I've set up all my subsequent tanks by taking some sponge/ceramics out of the first filter and putting it in the new one, then thrown the fish in and they're all doing great, even Otos and shrimp which are notoriously finicky little ... things.

I'm so glad to hear everything's going well :)

Wow, so I don't have to go through the waiting game of cycling the new tank? That's fantastic news! I didn't think the filter from the 10 gallon would be enough to cycle the 65. I'm new to all this though. [emoji3]

Looks like I'm just waiting for Amazon to deliver the new filter and heater! I'll be filling the new tank soon to get it ready. Now I just need to decide on new fish!

Add new fish slooooowly.

Your current filter will be enough for your bigger tank because it's the same number of fish creating the same amount of waste, that doesn't change.

I would get NT (new tank) all set up and ready and filled and new filter running etc.
Do a 50% on OT (old tank).
After the water change take out OT filter and add it straight into NT, so you have two filters running in one tank.
Give it a couple hours to churn some water, and move all your fish over.

I'd then wait an absolute minimum of a week before adding any new fish, and even then I'd only add one or two at a time (bioload depending).

Test your water each day until you get used to levels, water change whenever needed, and you're good to go.

I'd leave the OT filter in there for at least a month to make sure everything's stable, then, you can move it back to the 10g for your betta, or, dwarf puffers, or, frog, or, whatever you're putting in the 10 [emoji57]

Add new fish slooooowly.

Your current filter will be enough for your bigger tank because it's the same number of fish creating the same amount of waste, that doesn't change.

I would get NT (new tank) all set up and ready and filled and new filter running etc.
Do a 50% on OT (old tank).
After the water change take out OT filter and add it straight into NT, so you have two filters running in one tank.
Give it a couple hours to churn some water, and move all your fish over.

I'd then wait an absolute minimum of a week before adding any new fish, and even then I'd only add one or two at a time (bioload depending).

Test your water each day until you get used to levels, water change whenever needed, and you're good to go.

I'd leave the OT filter in there for at least a month to make sure everything's stable, then, you can move it back to the 10g for your betta, or, dwarf puffers, or, frog, or, whatever you're putting in the 10 [emoji57]

Thanks for the step by step directions; they are very helpful!
How many neon Tetras do you think I could add at a time?

Neons?
In a 65?

I'd get a small school of 6 and add them in all together. Neons are small for a 65 won't make a huge difference in the bioload (but will look great!).
Then I'd give them a couple before adding any more.

One thing: have you considered cardinals instead of neons? They look the same (red stripe is longer), are a bit more hardy, and you don't have to worry about neon tetra disease (those guys get their own special illness on top of everything else, yay!).

Back
Top Bottom