Going back to a little picotope - need advice for my small tank journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After starting with a 4 gallon, I got excited and got a 6.6 gallon (sold the 4). Then a 20G (sold the 6.6). Then another 3. Then sold the 3. No matter what I did, I had diatoms. Brown crap everywhere. Months passed, and then a year, and still, brown crap. It's easy enough to wipe off aquarium walls, not so easy to get off of plants.

Over the course of the year, I really began to hate aquarium keeping. I killed over 6 apple snails (not on purpose, of course) and over 20 fish. I couldn't get any fish past six months except my glowlight tetras. I did the API test, sometimes dosed meds, but aquarium keeping was just NOT. MY. THING. I read and read and read and read. More light, less light. I lost over $100 in live plants.

So, I started breaking down my remaining 20G tank. This tank STILL has diatoms and it's been running for about a year.

I got rid of most of my plants and all of my fish except one. My Betta. I came to realize that I was happiest when I had a small tank with a few snails. I really, really liked the snails. And I became attached to my Betta. She's healthy and hearty and is doing well.

So, I bought a glass picotope - 3 gallons. I know most people recommend 5 gallons for a Betta, but it is what it is. Stella the Betta will be going into her new home this weekend. She's already been in a 3 gallon and the 20 gallon over the past six months.

My question is this: is there any hope to ever get rid of these diatoms? Should I put new substrate into the picotope instead of bringing over the Eco Complete? Is the problem my water?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I hope that by keeping it simple, I can enjoy aquarium keeping and quit throwing my money down the drain. :)

I didn't know the answer to this myself so I did some googling. This is the best answer I found, hope it's usefull!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/silicates-125149.html

Edit: Oops! Just noticed that that advice is for marine tanks. Still, might be useful just to understand what silicates are.

Thanks. I'll take a look. Everything I read about diatoms say they are common with new tanks and they tend to go away on their own. Mine never really did. So, it leads me to believe I might have them in my water.

detrius. If its in clumps. You need more flow in your tanks, get a small powerhead to stir it up before it collects.

Heres a pic from my old 20 fresh when i still had it up, i added a powerhead and boom! Gone. You just need to make sure you dont have many big rocks that create dead zones.

image-3759117065.jpg

Back
Top Bottom