Good sand for plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What type of sand is best for plants? I prefer the look of light coloured sand but I will consider any, all help appreciated

I believe there is a sand Flourite. If your willing to spend extra money your plants would do great in that.

You can also use pool filter sand from any hardware store. It is a cheap solution that many folks have great success with. Depending on what type of plants you intend to grow, that might be more than sufficient and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Yea I like the look of pool filter sand and as for plants I just want easy to grow ones and I like the sort of reed type ones the most, I heard that there needs to be flow to the roots, would that be a problem?

What kind of plants, specifically?

Some aquatic plants should not be planted in substrate at all and instead need to be tied to rocks or driftwood so that roots are exposed. If these are the types of plants you are after, the choice of substrate is immaterial -- just go with what you think looks best.

Ok thanks I never knew that, maybe that's why I have had problems in the past, I will go with the pool filter sand I think and just research all the plants carefully, thanks for your help vanimal and fort384 it is appreciated :)

Shane87 said:
Ok thanks I never knew that, maybe that's why I have had problems in the past, I will go with the pool filter sand I think and just research all the plants carefully, thanks for your help vanimal and fort384 it is appreciated :)

No problem ;) good luck

Back
Top Bottom