Good tank mates for platies???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kuhli Loach

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I am thinking about getting some platies for my 30 gal tank. I would like them to go with 6 Kuhli loaches, 4 zebra danios, 1 blue gourami, 1 bristlenose pleco and a couple shrimp.

I have tons of platys and they don't really nip. Then again all I have are platys and endlers. I'm guessing some peaceful schooling tetras or barbs would work. Maybe some cories. I've always wanted some but my tank is a bit stocked I think.
The fish you have would work fine as tankmates I believe.

Never, ever have I seen or heard of a platy aggressive to another species of fish. They can be mean to each other, but they are generally peaceful as a rule.

aqua_chem said:
Never, ever have I seen or heard of a platy aggressive to another species of fish. They can be mean to each other, but they are generally peaceful as a rule.

Hmm...perhaps mine was an exception, they didn't nip each other, but they nipped my plants and occasionally my tetras.

They're ominvors that need plant matter for a healthy diet. If they're not getting it in their normal diet, they go elzewhere. Odd that they were intolerant of tetras. What kind?

aqua_chem said:
They're ominvors that need plant matter for a healthy diet. If they're not getting it in their normal diet, they go elzewhere. Odd that they were intolerant of tetras. What kind?

Pristella tetras and rummynose tetras, perhaps they were just evil platies?

i have a 20g with platys and im suprised no ones mentioned this.

the blue gourami would not make a good tank mate in my opinion. just too agressive
im often asking the same question as the OP. platies are such a peaceful fish that I really think the only truly good tank mates for platies are more platys and neon or glo tetras. that and corydoras. I refuse to put mine with Swordtails or Mollies because I think the platys will be intimidated by them.

anybody have any thoughts on this?
or maybe any suggestions for some fish that will go with the platies and still let them "rule" the tank

Back
Top Bottom