Got an empty 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many and which kind of gouramis are we talking here? The dwarfs? If you're getting a gourami you should just get 1 and you can get like 5-6 neons or other small tetras (black phantoms or serpaes should be ok). You could probably add 1-2 more small fish or 3-4 if you take good care of the tank.
What are the fish you definitely want?

Most tetras, including neons, like to be in schools of 6 or more. If I were you I would skip the gourami and get the rams, 6 tetras, and 4 or 5 cories. That would be a really great looking tank. You may not want 6 cories with the rams in only 20 gallons because the rams and cories will mostly hang out near the bottom of the tank. Look for tank raised neons if you can as they will be hardier. :mrgreen:

Thats exactly what I want is 2 rams, 6 tetras(not sure waht species exactly neon or black neon i like the most), and 5 panda cories. What should i use as decorations in the tank. Its not going to be planted but i will have fake plants. Do rams like driftwood or anthything special. As Alawys thanks again.

Driftwood is mainly used for lowering pH, looks, security for fish, and/or plecos to rasp on. What pH is your tap water?

Rams like driftwood a tangle of drifwood helps to mark territories. Rams are surface spawners, rocks and driftwood are surfaces. I think it helps make them feel safe.

I have lace rock caves and driftwood in both of my Bolivian ram tanks. They hide under and around the wood all the time. I attached java fern to the driftwood and they really seem to like it. You could easily do that as java ferns are low light, very low maintenance plants. All you have to do is tie them to the wood for a few weeks and then cut the string off. I also have anubias nana and barteri, and a couple of unknown swords. My tetras (rummy nose and green fire) love to swim in the plants as well as the rams. Of course, they won't care if your plants are real or fake, just throwing it out there for an easy planted tank idea. :mrgreen:

Well if it were to have plants the tank only has the 18w bulb it came with. So i dont think there is much i can do there, is there? If not i will just resort to some fake ones.

Cryptocoryne species shoud do ok in that sort of set-up. The don't require high light. I think Anubias species shoud do well too.

Ok Thanks. I think ill have some driftwood witha few of those specis plants around it. :D

Yeah, I just have the generic light that came with my tank and those plants work great for me, you won't have any problems. Anubias and java ferns could practically grow in the dark. :lol:

Ok thanks. I cant wait till my next few paychecks so i can start getting stuff for it. I think im going to get the tetras then cories and finally the rams. Does that sound alright? Either today or tomorrow i am going to give the tank a good cleaning and use a filter pad from another tank to add more bacteria so i can get rid of the other one that is inda grubby at the moment since there havent been any fish in the tank for alittle bit. Do you think i could add my ADF into this tank because it cant stay in the 10g tank its in now because I am putting dwarf puffers in there? Thnaks

Ummmm... I don't know anything about ADFs. If I were you I would definitely fishless cycle or use a filter from an established tank, because I don't think the fish you want would survive a cycle. I think they will be fine if they are put in a cycled tank though. You say you have a 10 gallon... you can run your new filter for the 20 gallon on your 10 gallon for a couple of weeks and then put it on your new tank. Someone might disagree with me here, but my experience with neons is that they are very touchy at first, so I would start with the cories. Then you can add the neons in a couple of weeks, then the rams a couple of weeks later. Be sure to test your water and keep up on PWCs. :mrgreen:

Im going to use filter pads from my 37 gallon community tank. Its a well established tank. Ill do that with the cvories then. That way i can save up my money between each fish purchase lol. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom