Gourami Pairing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have an 4 or 5 inch golden gourami all by her lonesome. Im pretty sure that she is a femal due to the more rounded fin. I cant seem to get a pic of her with her fins flared but I did comparisons by pictures online. Anyway can I add another smaller gourami to the tank w/o worry of her attack and possibly killing the new gourami? Also Should I get another Golden Gourami or would another species be alirght to use?

are you trying to get a male for breeding? OR just a companion? Still which sex ar you looking for? How large is your tank?

I'd say get someone pretty close to size and a golden if you want to breed.
If you are just looking for a tank mate, you could get any other kind of gourami (from my experiences). In the past I have had several different kind living peacefully in one tank. I currently have 2-4" irridescents with 2 honey dwarfs in a 46g tank and they are all fine with each other.

It also depends on your tank size and if you have places for the new gourami to retreat to until they get used to each other (if by chance they don't get along).

Good luck with your decision.

You could try another but I wouldn't go with a dwarf type.
If you can get an almost same size female that would be your best bet, usually.
I've not had a gourami beat another to death but they can definitely tear some fin! Depends on the individual's temperament.

Its the stress of being chased that wil lead to death. supply hiding places and try to get the size as close as you can. I don't think you will have too many problems. :)

Back
Top Bottom