Gouramis question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sammy S

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently purchased a pair of Gouramis and the man selling me the fish said neon tetras would go well with them.....well I placed them in last night....and I can't find him :banghead:

Is it possible that Gourami eat smaller tank mates? :confused:

And Can I look into getting a catfish to clean up the tank or is it too risky with these two

First off, Welcome to AA! :wave:

Okay, need a little information first:

How long has the tank been set up?
Did you cycle that tank?
What kind of Gourami did you buy? Some are more aggressive than others!

This would be a lot of help!

First off, Welcome to AA! :wave:

Okay, need a little information first:

How long has the tank been set up?
Did you cycle that tank?
What kind of Gourami did you buy? Some are more aggressive than others!

This would be a lot of help!
-----
The tanks been up for a week, I was recommended to start fish in cycling with gourami and its full of plants

I own a pair (male and female) paradise gourami

oh and it is a 10 gallon tank half moon

.....fish just dont disappear right? D:

Yikes! OK your tank isn't properly cycled. You'll need a good liquid test kit if you don't have one already and you'll need to change water daily for a while. There's a link in my signature: new tank with fish. It'll guide you through the process.

Since the tank isn't cycled I wouldn't add anything else to the tank. Also the Gouramis should be returned; they are too large for a 10 gal tank and you'll be battling a lot of issues. I'd highly recommend returning them and doing a fishless cycle (the other link in my signature: new empty tank) then do some research on proper fish for your size tank. I'd also try to find the Neons; dead fish can foul up your water so remove all decorations and look in your filters. Also do a 50% water change with dechlorinator. Sorry you got bad advice; we've all been there.

I agree, those gouramis have no business in a 10g. Sorry, but you have been given false information. You should do as librarygirl stated and return the fish to do a fishless cycle.

:welcome: to AA! :)

You were given false info, I'm sorry to say. Paradisefish "gouramis" don't even belong in a ten gallon, let alone two. Your neon tetras perhaps disappeared because they had died in the process because your tank was not cycled. And because neons are so sensitive nowadays it is a lot easier for them to disappear and die for no reason.

Read these two links. They'll help you out with your fish-in cycle.
1.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
2.I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Paradise fish can get up to 4" and need a tank of about 30 gallons. Depending on their size and the size of the neons they may have eaten the neons.

If you like gouramis, you might consider getting a single dwarf gourami for your 10 gallon. They should go well with a small school of neon tetras.

Nothing wrong with a fish in cycle as long as you are up to the challenge of daily water testing and daily water changes to keep the parameters safe. Remeber the beneficial bacteria grow on the filter media, do don't ever throw away that filter pad or sponge, just rinse it in old tank water about once a week.

Ok will do, though it's upsetting to return them, but I don't want to lose them either.. Thank you for the info and I'll recheck up everything!

Sammy S said:
Ok will do, though it's upsetting to return them, but I don't want to lose them either.. Thank you for the info and I'll recheck up everything!

If you like the look of paradise fish, you could also consider a single male betta.

Back
Top Bottom