Gravel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone thought about using pea gravel in their tanks? I am almost to the point of getting rid of all the blue gravel (since the color don't stay so good), and going to something more natural looking. I bought some pea gravel at my local landscaping place and didn't use all of it. If it is washed VERY WELL would it be ok to use it in my tank? I think a netural color might bring out my fishes color better. Any ideas?

Yeah, I've used it in several tanks. Worked great. I always bought the bagged stuff from Home Depot though.

Great to use in tanks: natural looking, usually too large for most fish to get stuck in their mouths, and can usually be bought cheaply in bulk. :D

Wash it good and be prepared for a PH rise. They are not sealed and leach for about 6 months to a year.

Wash it good and be prepared for a PH rise. They are not sealed and leach for about 6 months to a year.

Wow, I guess it depend on what kind of pea gravel you get. Mine is quartz, so is neutral ph. no rise or fall in ph with this.

Ditto with mine, we used the coral granite with no affect on the PH. In fact, the PH of the tank is lower than my tap water with nothing but a couple pieces of driftwood to lower it.

The lowes in my area sells a pea gravel / river rock. Its not the quarts or granite type. I thought that may be what they are reffering to. I have the quartz stuff out in my garage so Im familiar with that as well. Mine seems a little sharp for substrate. Hows yours corvus.

Ok. Yesterday I chneged half of my gravel (the blue stuff) with regular old pea gravel (1/2 cu yd at lowes for less that 3 buxs), After the water cleared I must say the tank looks so much better with the "natural" looking gravel. Just wished I didn't have to wait for a week to change the other half out. Word to the wise if you get some of this be sure to wash it good, I must have got 10 lbs of mud out of mine. :lol:

I changed my 55gal from all green gavel and white and green plastic plants to Nateral gravel and all live plants(not done yet) and man did it make a difference.
Looks alot better to me.

I have pea gravel in both my tanks and love the wayit looks. I didn't have a problem with my tank. I washed it real good then boiled it for about 30 min. then rerinsed it before adding it to my tanks. When i added water it was a little cloudy for about an hour or two but it cleared up on its own. I don't know what kind of pea gravel I have I just boughtr it at a plant store.

Back
Top Bottom