Gravel vs. Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindsayB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I just inherited a 37 gal aquarium. I have been using only gravel in my aquariums for the past decade, and was wondering what the pros and cons to using sand were? Should I not use sand if I'm only using fake plants? Thank you!

I have sand in 4 of my tanks and love how it looks. You can get a bag of pool filter sand for around $10 at your pool supply store, and it will be more than enough for your tank. You have to rinse it really well before you can put it in your tank, but it is well worth it. I like my sand tanks better than my gravel tanks. And my dojo loaches love to bury themselves in the sand.

sand is the way to go, in my opinion. you can get a 50-lb. bag of pool filter sand for about $7 at any pool and spa store. i got my bag at a lighthouse store. you want to be careful that you don't use too fine a sand like play sand, as it can compact and trap gases that can harm your tank, or so i've read.

I have pool filter sand. It's heavy enough to stay down and should do fine with fake plants. I actually like it better than gravel substrate as it is easier to vacuum up.

Thanks!

Thank you so much with all of your help. I have decided to also purchase some MTS to help stir up the sand. THANK YOU ^_^

I have play sand in mine, but have used almost any type. Have a construction site around you? Brick sand works just as good.
As mentioned, they do have to be washed good. If you ever do grow plants (which everyone should) the roots love it and it is easier to plant in. See my tank for how it looks.

I agree with previous posters. All of my tanks have a PFS substrate. IME it is easier to aquascape and looks natural. Some people prefer natural looking tanks, others do not. It's all a personal preference. I don't think I'd ever use gravel again unless I use river rocks or something similar.

Don't buy MTS. Just buy plants. They always seem to hitch their way into the tank mysteriously somehow. :)

I'm setting up my first tank, and we bought some Peace River gravel - it's got a small diameter (2-3mm)so it's like a cross between gravel and coarse sand, and it's pretty. But it was EXPENSIVE in the LFS, like $30 for a 20lb bag! I couldn't decide between gravel or sand either, so I'm hoping this will be a good compromise!

If you are keeping Goldfish then the sand is not compatible with them. They like to vac the gravel and the sand will tear up their gills IF they pass it off.
Like everyone else, I assume you have tropicals but wanted to make sure...

Good luck either way.

I agree with BillD about the white sand not looking natural and that is why I use general construction sand or play sand (which is the same). I like the natural brown color much more.

i absolutely love sand since i tried it in my little 12 gallon. The only problem is light colored sand shows a lot of algae i think when i get my next big tank i will buy some dark sand.

It's a medium tan color. The supply store that we purchased from had off-white, light tan, medium tan, and red sands. I didn't want to use the red since I didn't know what made it red and if it was safe for the tank.

To vac sand just wave the gravel vac over the sand. It will kick up the debris. if you use a heavy sand like PFS, you can move the sand around with the gravel vac. That's how I aquascape. I just fill the tube half full of sand and then shake it out. I maybe lose 1 teaspoon of sand per water change if I'm aquascaping.

or if you have a planted tank you don't have to vacuum at all ;) i haven't vacuumed mine for about 2 years now.. just water changes and cleaning the filter and the occasional plant trimming. of course i think the aquaclear filter keeps the bottom pretty clean

Fishyfanatic said:
To vac sand just wave the gravel vac over the sand. It will kick up the debris. if you use a heavy sand like PFS, you can move the sand around with the gravel vac. That's how I aquascape. I just fill the tube half full of sand and then shake it out. I maybe lose 1 teaspoon of sand per water change if I'm aquascaping.

buttercup said:
or if you have a planted tank you don't have to vacuum at all ;) i haven't vacuumed mine for about 2 years now.. just water changes and cleaning the filter and the occasional plant trimming. of course i think the aquaclear filter keeps the bottom pretty clean

Oh. Thanks! I know that with a planted tank, I don't HAVE to vacuum... I just do it anyways and was curious how to vacuum sand. Thanks for the tips. Maybe when the next tank happens..... :)

Back
Top Bottom