Green Water is CURED!!! Finally!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I have green water. Its not that bad, you can still see the fish! lol Any ideas on this?

Yes. I finally got rid of my green water after 3 months.

If you don't think you are overfeeding, or you don't have your tank sitting in bright sunlight etc...
Try this:
Get a phosphate test kit and measure your tank and tap water. It should be less than 1ppm.(0 -0.5) If your tap water has more than 1 ppm, I would get some phosphate absorbing media for your filter.

I kept doing partial water changes to dilute the green water, and it actually hurt me. Turns out you should try for a Nitrate to phospahte ratio of approx 10:1.

So, I stopped doing partial water changes and let my nitrates climb from 5 or so up to 10-15 and it cleared right up. :D

good advice gfink!

Also, please let us know how many wpg of lighting you have and what, if any live plants.

I've got 2 x 20w fluorescent tubes. I have two med-large amazon swords and a small aquatic palm.

Are there any known chemicals for green water that actually work and are safe?

I wouldn't put ANY chemicals in the tank for green water. We had it in our 10 gal and did a water change and just let nature take its course and it cleared up on its own. I know what you mean though, it's not dark green in the tank but when you take water out and put it in the bucket, it looks really green.

Yes. Do not alter the pH with chemicals. Use driftwood instead. It will naturally decrease the pH. How long has your tank been setup? What type of filtration unit are you using?

My tank has been setup for i think at least 6 weeks. I've got a power head filter and a pump which pumps the water up to a black sponge sheet thing in the lid.

Its disgusting! The fish can't see where the food is! Today Im not switching the lights on at all just to see how it goes. 0X

Did you get a phosphate test kit like I suggested? What were your readings? Another option is to bring some water to the LFS and ask them to measure phosphate for you.

In addition, please post:
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate Levels, and pH.

FYI...the fish will find the food just fine. I couldn't see six inches past teh front glass into my tank and the fish survived for months until I got it nailed down. The greeen doesn't hurt them.

I havn't been able to get the phosphate, but I will bring some water to lfs to test. And I've got to get a nitrate test kit. Its just so yucky

Pea Soup Algea Problem

I just found this thread, as I am having the same problem for a few weeks now. I've had my tank set up since about 8/1/04, and it's been fine until recently by doing just 20% water changes once/month. Three weeks ago, the lfs recommended 40% water change, and adding Bio Spira, and also I swapped them my large algae eater for 2 smaller ones. It made it worse. Got a vacuum siphon and siphoned all the black gunk from the bottom, and have done a few more water changes in the last few weeks. Tested ok last week. Tested again last night, and everything is ok, except the ammonia is up, so she recommended no more water changes, and to keep the light off except when feeding for a while. I also added two tablets of algea destroyer last night which haven't made any difference. I believe the phoshate test was ok. The algea I have is just in the water - no buildup or blooms on the sides of tank or decorations. This is just really gross. The lfs recommended a white granular "rechargeable" something - I don't remember the name of it. Will that help the phoshate level, and if so, get rid of the green? Another question - we have soft water, but had no salt in it for about a month. The lfs said the water tested very hard, but that shouldn't matter.

Well, Lisa Lev, the water in my tank is slightly clearer but it is still green. At least I can see the fish now! :) Today Im getting my phosphate testing and a nitrite and nitrate test kit

Got the nitrate test kit !

Water parametres:
Ammonia-0
Nitrate-12.5mg per L
Ph-7.4

PHosphate going to be tested soon.

In another post, I see that someone recommended a total blackout. So, figured I had nothing to lose. I taped dark green towels around my tank, but left the top open just by the filter for air flow. It's been two days, and I did peak today, and it still looks just as green. I think the phospates were fine when it was tested last week, but my next step is to get the "phosphate absorbing medium" previously recommended. Unless there are any more ideas out there.

Back
Top Bottom