Green worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foxtrot90

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i was just looking around in my aquarium and noticed a leaf stuck to the glass. I thought nothing of it until it started to move!

Upon closer inspection i noticed a small little worm sticking out of the folded leaf, pulling himself across the glass.

Needless to say i immediately removed the leaf and unfolded it. Inside was this little green worm.

I went on google to see if i could find anything but nothing really came up that looked like this. So i suppose ill ask yall, what the heck is it? I currently have it sitting in a cup of water

img_2470560_0_7195bb869b78398c529b0cb8ba6bbc48.jpg

img_2470560_1_162d358733ee24b76d25b1f0f438b4fa.jpg

img_2470560_2_2bf5d2f525b7d6e8888dde39e14aa3dc.jpg

Looks like some sort of aquatic caterpillar? I bet it eats plants...

I did some more research with a friend of mine and I think we did in fact confirm its an aquatic caterpillar

I recently added many new plants to my tank and it must have hitched a ride. From what i have read, this little guy will collect plant matter/debris to from a sort of "shelter" to protect themselves with (just like mine did with the leaves). And yes, like normal caterpillars they eat plants, which would explain the holes and bite marks in my ludwigia. He would then eventually form a cocoon in the aquarium and hatch into a moth! The moth would then crawl out of the tank and allow its wings to dry before taking flight. Quite fascinating!

I think im going to keep him in a cup of water so I can see the whole process for myself in person

Absolutely fascinating! I hope you witness the hatching. And take photos. And post them for us all to see!

Back
Top Bottom