Hair algae outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I've got a 29 gallon planted freshwater aquarium going strong right now, housing 4 congo tetras, 1 krib, 2 swordtails, 2 platies, and 1 oto. I recently switched from the standard one-bulb light that comes with the Aqueon deluxe kit to a canopy LED system, which has a much higher output. The plants love it.

Unfortunately a colony of hair algae has started to grow and spread rapidly in the tank, on my plants and driftwood, and I'm worried about it starting to choke a few of the plants and restrict their access to the light.

I don't believe that otocinclus eats hair algae. Is there any fish or invertebrate I could keep in this set up that would eat the stuff, without being eaten by any other fish or being a hazard to them? And if not, what other solutions are there for hair algae outbreaks that don't involve hazardous chemicals or anything like that?

I'd love some advice, thanks!

Not sure about any fish or such that eat it, someone else may chime in with help there, but start with cutting your lighting back to 6 hours a day and cut back on your feeding a bit. Extra food breaks down into ammonia which helps the algae grow.

Hope that helps a bit.

Back
Top Bottom