Harlequin Rasboras or Neon Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Henri

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys!
I need your advice. I'll be setting up my first high light soil substrate heavily planted tank tomorrow and I have a doubt on my stock. This is the stock I've planned:
- A school of cory cats.
- A German Blue Ram
- And the school of tetras or rasboras.
Which one should I get? Theyre both really pretty. I like the neons slightly more, but their downside is that they are not that hardy.
If I find cardinals at the store I'll definitely get those though.
(All this will be done gradually after the tank is cycled, of course).

How big is the tank? Could you do a small school of both? 5-6 raspboras? 8-10 tetras?

Oh ****** I forgot! This is a 20 gallon tank. Two schoold? Isn't that too much?

Oh ****** I forgot! This is a 20 gallon tank. Two schoold? Isn't that too much?

When I was going to get a 20 Gallon, I worked out that I could have 2 small schools. Maybe two schools of 6-8 each?

CherryBarb123 said:
When I was going to get a 20 Gallon, I worked out that I could have 2 small schools. Maybe two schools of 6-8 each?

Oh really?? So will my stock work in there?
6 Cories
One German Blue Ram
6 Harlequins
6 Neons?

6 Cories
One German Blue Ram
6 Harlequins
6 Neons?

I would wait for someone with more experience to comment on this :) What tpye of cories are they? I perosnally think that should be ok. When I was working out stocking for a 20, I had simular plans to that.

Henri said:
6 Cories
One German Blue Ram
6 Harlequins
6 Neons?

Both harlequins and neons are quite small with small bioloads. The stock list sounds good. :)
Is the tank a 20g high or long?
What kind of cories?

CherryBarb123 said:
I would wait for someone with more experience to comment on this :) What tpye of cories are they? I perosnally think that should be ok. When I was working out stocking for a 20, I had simular plans to that.

Thanks Im much more excited now lol :D!
The only cories I've seen at the LFS are peppered, albino and sterbai I think. Ill get only one of the school though.
I forgot to didn't mention that I'd be puttin apple snails as well, but I don't think that will add much to the bioload.

Mumma.of.two said:
Both harlequins and neons are quite small with small bioloads. The stock list sounds good. :)
Is the tank a 20g high or long?
What kind of cories?

The tank is pretty much a standart one, just that it's not a regular shaped tank (cuboid), it's a more prismic tank.
The cories are listed above.

Henri said:
The tank is pretty much a standart one, just that it's not a regular shaped tank (cuboid), it's a more prismic tank.
The cories are listed above.

Do you have a picture of it? If it's a longer tank you can have 6 cories, if it's a higher tank you can have 6 pygmy/smaller cories but from the ones mentioned I'd recommended 4.

Mumma.of.two said:
Do you have a picture of it? If it's a longer tank you can have 6 cories, if it's a higher tank you can have 6 pygmy/smaller cories but from the ones mentioned I'd recommended 4.

Really? The cories are my favourite :(... Anyways here are some pics of it:

image-1620806447.jpg

image-1066828077.jpg

image-2262105390.jpg

I see what you mean. It's on the high side; less 'floor space'. Look up the smaller species of cories like pygmaeus or panda. The ones you mentioned get quite large in comparison.

Really guys? I can't say Im not disaapointed. I really love the cories and I'm not sure if I've seen any small ones at the pet store. Anyways I'll do what's best for my fish. But can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between the pygmy cories from the other species? What are some of the differences?
Also, since I am not getting the large cories, can I get any ottos at all? Like 4? They're neat and really helpful. Or am I overstocking my tank?
Thanks again!

Oh and according to this page (This is where I do my fish profiles research), http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile135.html

"Corydoras pygmaeus is one of three dwarf cory species available in the hobby (the others being corydoras hastatus and corydoras habrosus)."
So if I can't find the pygmy cories at my LFS, am I good to go with either the Corydoras Hastatus or the Habrosus?

Henri said:
Oh and according to this page (This is where I do my fish profiles research), http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile135.html

"Corydoras pygmaeus is one of three dwarf cory species available in the hobby (the others being corydoras hastatus and corydoras habrosus)."
So if I can't find the pygmy cories at my LFS, am I good to go with either the Corydoras Hastatus or the Habrosus?

Either of those will work. :)

Jason7894561230 said:
I agree, but if you cant find any of them then a school of 4 would be OK

Really? Would a school of 4 be ok?

Back
Top Bottom