Has anybody used the Python Gravel Vac?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbeth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!
I'm new and would like to know if anybody has had any luck using the Python Gravel Vac. I bought one and I'm afraid to use it because I don't know how much dechlorinator to use. I don't know if I can just add it to the tank before adding the clean water. I don't know if I should treat the whole tank or just estimate how much water I put in. Are there any fish that you shouldn't use it on?

Tell me the type of fish that you have. Also, depending on how good you faucet water quality is, you may need to dillute the water first before it gets sent into the tank. As for the Python, you can use it to clean the gravel and refill the tank again, depending on the fish in which you have.

Omg, its the best thing I've ever bought for the tank (cept for the fish *grin*).

I estimate how much water I put in, and add the dechlor as the water is going into the tank. Some folks add it before, some after. Doesn't seem to have any negative effect. And you can use it for any tank, although I wouldn't suggest it for a 2 gallon ;) I haven't found any fish one can't use it with. Just make sure you match temps when you are adding the water from the tap and you'll be fine (and so will the fish).

I do the same as Alli plus I also think its god's gift to the world of aquariumism. You'll see just how awesome it can be in saving time, wetness, and fuss!

I think my python was one of the best things I bought since I started fish keeping in January. I now have a 100 gal., a 55 gal. a 29 gal. and a 20 gal. tank, and I can vacuum and refill them all in less than an hour! Just add your dechlor right before starting to fill up the tank. It sure makes weekly water changes much less of a chore. You will love it!

Python is a lifesaver

Yes, you should definitely make the splurge for the Python No Spill. I can't imagine ever sucking on the hose again to get the gravel vac going...ugh :p

I just got mine last week, and the first time I used it my husband was at the sink in the bathroom manning the Python pump and the faucet--luckily, because apparently the sink there had a slower drain and couldn't handle the amount of water the Python brought in at that speed! We had a little bit of an overflow happen, but nothing major. Good thing he was there to see it happen and turned the faucet off asap. So at least now I know what not to do.

Enjoy your water changes :)

If you are confused as how much stress coat or whatever. I marked the back of my tank in 5 gallon increments. When I suck all the water out, I look at the back of the tank and see how many gallons it is to fill up and put that much additives in.

Could I use this in my 5.5 gallon tank? I know what you're all thinking -- :lol:

I'm sick of my little gravel vacs not working! Would the python take too much water out too fast in this size tank? I could probably use the hose & faucet assembly and still use my small vac tube. The python tube is 10 inches long, and that may be too big for my tank.

I would not use the python for that size tank, unless you could switch the large vacuum head for one smaller in diameter, and use a slow flow on the tap to start the draining. I know what you mean! I have a densely planted 12-gal that I use a manual syphon for, and fill with 5-gal jugs, but I have a tiny syphon with a valve in the neck of it so I just shake it up and down to get the syphon going. It is too small to use my Python, which I use for the 44 and the 55.

Back
Top Bottom