Has anyone ever made a tank lid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggalz

Aquarium Advice Freak
lid for the top of their tanks? would like to try to with acrylic beings i have an odd shaped tank..and has that lid with the light tanks come with sometimes..i need to get more light in so i'm trying to redo the lid..ive got an idea but just thought i'd ask others if they've done it

depending on your light fixture and your fish stock (if you have jumpers or not) you could just go topless (haha) my hex tank is topless because i wanted to get more light in. it looks 10 times better now.

You can have glass tops cut and connect them by putting them edge to edge and using silicone sealant to connect them.

I talked to some people about doing that and easiest way IMO is to get plexiglas and cut areas for the filter, heater, etc. Also if u want an access door u can buy a hinge cut a piece of plexiglas out and well screw the hinge in and go from there.

depending on your light fixture and your fish stock (if you have jumpers or not) you could just go topless (haha) my hex tank is topless because i wanted to get more light in. it looks 10 times better now.

i could if i didnt have jumpers..plus having a light just sitting there with open top makes me to nervous lol

You can have glass tops cut and connect them by putting them edge to edge and using silicone sealant to connect them.

what i looked up online costed to much..plus with my octagon and the openings i needed just would of been to much..i'd probably get charged an arm and a leg anywhere around here..which wouldnt be many places

I talked to some people about doing that and easiest way IMO is to get plexiglas and cut areas for the filter, heater, etc. Also if u want an access door u can buy a hinge cut a piece of plexiglas out and well screw the hinge in and go from there.

i've looked online and i think my big thing would be cutting it...i've found online some hinges...it would take a little bit to get the edges right..then the areas to cut out for my openings..in my head it seems easy..but i know any project with me isnt always easy

Or drill a feeding hole in the front and you can use that hole to put your finger in jokes aside lol to lift the top off for matience

i would have to get someone to drill a hole..i'm trying to do this without their help cause that would be like pulling teeth..

sweet you do them? hard to do?

Not at all you just need a utility knife and a strait edge what I do with octagons is take a price of cardboard that's bigger then the top set it on the top and run the knife on the inside edge of the rim all the way around the tank and use that as my template and trace it onto a peice of plexiglas just score the line multiple times and snap it on the edge of a table

Not at all you just need a utility knife and a strait edge what I do with octagons is take a price of cardboard that's bigger then the top set it on the top and run the knife on the inside edge of the rim all the way around the tank and use that as my template and trace it onto a peice of plexiglas just score the line multiple times and snap it on the edge of a table

That's what I thought..but one site said I'd need a special knife just for this...I looked on so Lowes for the Plexiglas some were really cheap and some were expensive...

Usually the more thick the more expensive also there is a new type of plexiglas out there that very pricy but all you need is1/4" plexiglass and it's not a special knife a regular box cutter utility knife works great just make sure you have a sharp blade

Remember when you trace your template onto the plexiglas use your strait edge to carry your lines to the edge of the plexiglas so your cuts will snap off cleanly know what I mean. Also if you have a jig saw this works way faster and less effort just get a plastic cutting blade for it

I plan to do this myself LOL..can't count on the men in my family...do you file the edges down any?

I found my acrylic top I made for my 20 gal tall seems to be bowing in anyone else have a problem like this, it didn't have a light just straight top and was tight fitting lemme know if you have this problem too

Back
Top Bottom