Heater placement? Beneath substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KidFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can you place the heater under the substrate?, the only problem i foresee is the tank not getting enough heat, but i would think the water would cool the heater substrate... I'm not sure.
Any explanations?

I would worry about just creating a warm spot there....

I always put my heater under the filter intake so the warmth gets distributed around the whole tank.

I think that your heater will be ineffective and as there will be little flow of water from heater to thermostat I think you are likely to burn out your heater. I would say its a big NO.

Why on earth would you want to put a heater under the substrate?!?!? I think its a no too. Surely it would burn the heater element out

Why on earth would you want to put a heater under the substrate?!?!? I think its a no too. Surely it would burn the heater element out
seems like it would be inviting more harm than good..

I wouldn't place a heater below the substrate unless I was installing a specific system that was designed to be operated this way. Even then, I wouldn't recommend an "undergravel cable heater"

The substrate acts as an insulator, so awhile the substrate around the heater will be warm the water will be at a different, lower, temperature.

Back
Top Bottom