heater tried to kill my fish!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeBob

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so last night I finally figured out what the weird noise in my tank was, my heater was eating itself! Some kind of nasty brown foamy stuff bubbled out of it so I immediately removed it, did a PWC 30% and have now got a new heater but the tank temp is 76f and its normally at 82 for my rams n angels so I'm thinking of doing another PWC with 80 deg water and setting the heater at 80 for a week or two before increasing. My tank is a 55gal and I got an aqueon 200w heater. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Marineland, found out about recall at LFS today. So you think maybe set it at 78 n raise it a degree or so a week would work?

Oh that's scary I just bought a marine land heater for my 55 g I'll be setting up soon I guess I'm gonna have to return it! I had a under gravel one once for my hermit crabs I believe it was zoo med brand and it did the same think except it looked like white smoke was coming out of my sand What a mess that was! luckily it didn't hurt any of my hermits.

I have three and have no issues. You are the second person posting about a problem with the stealth. But you are lucky because the other person lost a good number of fish. Some he had for years.

If the other poster just bought one I would return it and pick something else.

From what I've heard from everyone around here aqueon pro heaters are supposed to be really good, I'm waiting on mine to come in lol.

picture_117 said:
From what I've heard from everyone around here aqueon pro heaters are supposed to be really good, I'm waiting on mine to come in lol.

Good! I'm glad to hear that because I took my marine land one back and exchanged for aqueoun pro heater. :)

This is the first one I've owned and so far I like it as well as I can a heater :brows: I really like that the temp adjustment is large and easy to manipulate and it has a green light when it reaches temp and a red light to show its heating. Really big suction cups for a good attachment and of course, heated right up and has mainted temp for about 18hrs. and it was on sale! Thanks for all the helpful posts from everybody :thanks:

I use Aqueon Pros also, but I am a little concerned. They are built basically the same way the Marineland Stealth Pros were. Aluminum barrel, epoxy filled and plastic cover. Hope we don't have the same issues with these. Guess time will tell.

I use Aqueon Pros also, but I am a little concerned. They are built basically the same way the Marineland Stealth Pros were. Aluminum barrel, epoxy filled and plastic cover. Hope we don't have the same issues with these. Guess time will tell.

Yeah, I agree w/that, I wanted to get the Fluval but it was about $11.00 more than I had to spend so as you say, time will tell.

I can't say enough good things about Jager heaters. Real quality internals with the thickest glass in the industry. Of course, just an opinion... and that and a nickel will get you five pennies...

Back
Top Bottom