Help - Angelfish breeding and I don't want it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spartanfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there folks. Long time reader, first time poster....

About three months ago I set up a nice 29-gal community tank. In there currently are four black neons, two small (2.5-inch) clown loaches and two smallish angelfish. The angelfish have doubled in size since I got them...they are probably 3 inches long and 4 inches tall now. All tankmates have been together for about 8 weeks and have been getting along famously.

UNTIL NOW.

About a week ago I put an anubias in there. A few days later the angels started acting strange and getting very territorial about the anubias. Well, you guessed it....I now have a giant mass of eggs all over one anubias leaf. So evidently I have a mated pair (I had no clue of the sex when I purchased).

This is particularly stressful because they are now extremely aggressive towards their tank mates, PLUS I am in no position, nor do I have the desire, to raise the babies. I really really like this pair and would HATE to separate them,

So my questions are:

1) Is it possible the anubias actually triggered this? Would it help to remove it?

2) Will the angelfish hopefully be less aggressive during periods when they are not spawning?

And most importantly 3) Could I cut the aggression short by immediately disposing of the eggs after they spawn? I am sure some might take major issue with this, but I can't have them terrorizing everyone else and I really really don't want to remove everyone else, OR one of the angels. It was such a nice peaceful tank before.

(Also, yes I am aware that the clown loaches will have to be rehoused down the line. As for now they are very content and very playful (not even remotely shy, even in the face of angel terror), and also growing nice and slow.

Thanks!

What temperature are you keeping them at? Reducing the temperature slowly to the low seventies should reduce their aggression and breeding.

And yes disposing of the eggs should cut the aggression short. And removing the anubias will probably not stop anything.

I keep it right at 80.

I made a post on another forum and a lot of people told me the only solution is to remove one of the angelfish.

I figure I might as well at least TRY to dispose of the eggs first and see if that calms them down.

Sometimes the best solution is the one we don't want to hear. Your probably better off splitting up the angels, or perhaps you could get them there own tank in the future. Personally, as long as none of your fish are being harmed, I would leave things alone, if you end up with baby angels you can take them to your local fish store.

If u love your angelfish then u need to re house other tank mates. U said they are growing. So at some point neons won't be safe with them. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom