help catching fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know this sounds silly but I've spent the last 2 days trying to net a fish out of my tank to rehome it but despite my best efforts the little bugger keeps evading me lol my tank is fully planted with bogwood, ornaments etc and removing all that is out of the question. So I guess I'm just wondering if you guys have any hints or tips to help catch him? I'm sure plenty of you have had the same problem :)

Use a large net. Approach slow and he will more than likely net himself

My husband and I occassionally have to "double dip" which means that he goes to one end of the tank, I go to the other and we meet the nets somewhere in the middle. The fish always ends up rushing into one net to avoid the other.

I do remove my larger driftwood, though. It's not worth it ripping the net apart.

LyndaB said:
My husband and I occassionally have to "double dip" which means that he goes to one end of the tank, I go to the other and we meet the nets somewhere in the middle. The fish always ends up rushing into one net to avoid the other.

I do remove my larger driftwood, though. It's not worth it ripping the net apart.

Lol makes me think of the slickest plecto I have ever seen. Mine..lol. he takes forever to.net and.the. nine out of ten he brakes.my.net by whipping his tail...

LyndaB said:

That's funny I thought we were the only fools double dipping lol and if that don't work I do a 75% water change and net before I refill

Depending on the fish you could try netting while feeding flake food.

Failing that a plastic drink bottle cut in half with the neck pushed inside the bottom half to make a trap.

What if you catch the wrong fish in your trap? Have you ever actually used this method?

LyndaB said:
I imagine it would only work on small fish, right?

Well it was a small fish I was catching, and I did start my post with "depending on the fish".
And I haven't noticed where it says on the thread what size fish it was.

I was just curious..... I'm still trying to picture your trap..... sounds interesting and hey, if it works, go for it!

That's great i never thought of the water change thing. his main hiding space is the space behind my u4 filter (behind the silly rack thing) its only a dwarf gourami so not the hugest fish but fast enough. Another thing is that its learning what I'm after and everytime i walk in the room he immediately goes into hiding!

jetajockey said:
Another thing that works is leaving the net in the tank with the handle sticking out so they get used to it, once they start acting normal again just scoop =]

Yeah i tried that one earlier, all the neons caught themselves but the. gouramis all hid. Lol

Pleco11771 said:
Dwarf guraumi? I wouldn't think that'd be hard lol what are you putting in the water steroids?

Your having a laugh aren't ya, my gouramis are rapid lol

IME, fish look up more than they look down. Its some sort of a food finding strategy or something... I have better luck scooping up from behind than approaching from the same level.

Wait till after lights out. Find out where he sleeps. Wait half an hour, then quickly switch all the lights on in the tank and surrounding room. He will be so stunned you can quickly just scoop him out. I've done this dozens if times, works really well on tetras.

Back
Top Bottom