Help dying fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulbrear

Aquarium Advice Regular
Our tank has been established now for a few months but suddenly we lost 3 rummy nose tetra overnight and now the other fish are all stressed and we now have lost a couple of the tiny babies.
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0.25-0.5

We changed our heater as the other broke but the thermometer reading is fine. Hubby bringing in a new one to make sure.

A couple seem to be panting a bit too.

Any ideas please before we lose any more? :(

Our tank has been established now for a few months but suddenly we lost 3 rummy nose tetra overnight and now the other fish are all stressed and we now have lost a couple of the tiny babies.
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0.25-0.5

We changed our heater as the other broke but the thermometer reading is fine. Hubby bringing in a new one to make sure.

A couple seem to be panting a bit too.

Any ideas please before we lose any more? :(

How are you testing the water? Liquid test kit, strips?
Strips are notoriously inaccurate.

If those ammo readings are correct ... are too high ... the water's becoming toxic ... you need to do a PWC 50% (at least) right away ... It would also help to know your nitrates levels.

Do another one to try and get the levels down one reason there up now is from the fish that died... do u have plants or feed veggies

We use a liquid test kit, will test Nitrites. Will also do a pwc 50% to try and help bring ammonia down!

If you have readings of ammonia this means your tank isn't fully cycled and that is why some of your fish have died. Cycling can be very strenuous on fish. There are links on this website for cycling with fish. Check them out and good luck

The tank has been fully cycled for months now, fish have been happy and had many babies, this is the first time we have had higher than 0 ammonia readings

Kat1103 said:
If you have readings of ammonia this means your tank isn't fully cycled and that is why some of your fish have died. Cycling can be very strenuous on fish. There are links on this website for cycling with fish. Check them out and good luck

Just cause there is an ammonia reading doesn't mean their not cycled I've been cycled and I had a plant rotting which caused ammonia so I dont think that's it

If this is the "first" time you have had ammonia readings you may be cycling. You might have just been on top of water changes to keep it low. Read the link above to help u

Kat1103 said:
If this is the "first" time you have had ammonia readings you may be cycling. You might have just been on top of water changes to keep it low. Read the link above to help u

I'm not sure why u are on this kick that they aren't cycled if they bought a fish that was sick then it may have died just cause then the ammonia would raise from waste then causing ammonia stress then killing more fish ... After a few months being set up and having test of 0 ammonia I think u are cycled just fine

Kat1103 said:
Sorry xfactor but after your tank is cycled we do PWCs to keep the nitrates down.

Not always it depends on what happened in the tank adding to many fish to a cycled tank will raise ammonia causing us to pwc there are lots of options besides'' ur not cycled''

Thank you.
We have got many fish but one recently had babies so maybe they tipped the balance of ammonia?
I have just done a pwc so will keep testing and water changing to see if the fish perk up. Think we might turn the heater down a bit too as got a new one and feels a bit warmer than normal even though thermometer reading is ok.

paulbrear said:
Thank you.
We have got many fish but one recently had babies so maybe they tipped the balance of ammonia?
I have just done a pwc so will keep testing and water changing to see if the fish perk up. Think we might turn the heater down a bit too as got a new one and feels a bit warmer than normal even though thermometer reading is ok.

That should read 'haven't' got many fish!

Not trying to argue but they said it was the first time they had ammonia. If it's the first time then yes they're cycling. It can take over 3-4 months sometimes to fully cycle. That is why I posted the link

Back
Top Bottom