Help dying fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, so was this the first time you had ammonia, or the first time after the initial cycle?

Also, the ammonia was the most likely cause for the deaths, if not paired with something else. Were there any things that looked odd on the fish? Just do PWC's to keep ammonia in check. If it was cycled before, it could be that it's going through a mini cycle for whatever reason. Just keep checking them after water changes and keep us updated on any changes.

The initial cycle was complete about February which then we added fish. This is the first ammonia reading above 0 that I am aware of. My husband mainly deals with the fish so he has maybe had readings above 0 before and done water changes to correct it. As he is at work and the fish are really stressed I needed to do something to help. I just done a pwc and hubby said he'll assess when he gets home from work in an hour or so.

If I read this correctly, your hubby did a PWC the night before your fish started dieing, correct?
Are you on city or well water?
The reason I ask is, a few months ago our city water had a problem. It was just one day and it wasn't harmful to humans. But It killed 6 new Danios and severely burned my Pleco and an Angelfish. Both of them were very sick for several weeks with HUGE blisters on their eyes. It was horrible to watch them in that kind of pain, but they survived and the Pleco is doing great. The Angelfish was later killed by another Angelfish.
My point is if your fish were healthy prior to the PWC, it could be that something got into the water.
I had to completely rinse out both tanks with bottled water (not cheap) and re cycle them both. Fortunately I grow my own high NitrAte filter Media and gravel, So I was able to cycle my 55g tank in 5 days. I kept the Pleco and the Angelfish in the QT for the 5 days. Of course my 10g Qt was way to small for the Pleco and Angel so I had to do PWC every 12 hours until the 55g finished cycling.
Anyway the cities water problem was cleared up the next day and no problems since then.
So it may not be a cycle issue at all it could be the water.
If you have access to seeded filter media I would rinse out your tank completely and try again.
It hard to know what to do about multiple unexplained deaths.
Just another idea for you to think about.
Good luck, I hope you don't loose any more fish

Yes that's right he did a pwc Monday and started dying last night, we are also on city water so that is a possibility - thank you!

Glad to help. Unfortunately it means rinsing out your tanks and filters and gravel in bottled water to get rid of what ever it is in the city water. And then your stuck cycling your tanks all over again.

Ok my good wife did a part water change ! About12 litres left it to c how they get on then found 15 dead babys!! have done another 10litre pwc and 3 more baby's dead !!, 2 male platys acting different to female. Both female appear to b panting one top fin tucked down and the other still up! both males r not panting but fins on one r up others r nok

Ok my good wife did a part water change ! About12 litres left it to c how they get on then found 15 dead babys!! have done another 10litre pwc and 3 more baby's dead !!, 2 male platys acting different to female. Both female appear to b panting one top fin tucked down and the other still up! both males r not panting but fins on one r up others r nok

What are your water parameters now?
Your fish are extremely stressed out from your description.
If it is a problem with your cities water like mine was, PWC won't do a thing. you'll have to rinse everything out with bottled water and then fill your tank with bottled water.
Are the dead fish a different color? Are they looking palerthan normal? In fact are the live but sick fish looking pale?

Is it possible that the heater could cause the ammonia spike ?? Being it was a little to warm in the tank !

paulbrear said:
Is it possible that the heater could cause the ammonia spike ?? Being it was a little to warm in the tank !

No I don't think the heater would start a mini cycle. You better do a full test of your tap water to see if it is in fact the problem. Ammo, nitrite, nitrate of both your tap water and aquarium water so the team in AA can help you more...... Goof luck..... Can I ask how you cycled your tank initially???

kenny69 said:
No I don't think the heater would start a mini cycle. You better do a full test of your tap water to see if it is in fact the problem. Ammo, nitrite, nitrate of both your tap water and aquarium water so the team in AA can help you more...... Goof luck..... Can I ask how you cycled your tank initially???

Maybe chlorine, if the tap water had a big spike of chlorine, maybe your dechlorinator level was not enough.
This combination can kill your fish in a short period of time, and also your biomedia, resulting in an increase of ammonia.

Well all apears things are alot better! no gasping fish ! Baby's stopped dying! ( lost around 20 ) my fish seem to be in hiding but the fins are up tails are fully out and wide ! tested water looking good results wise.
I was wondering if it is worth getting something that lives on the substrate and will clean up the tank ? My plec can only do so much !! What are your thoughts guys ??!!!!

paulbrear said:
Well all apears things are alot better! no gasping fish ! Baby's stopped dying! ( lost around 20 ) my fish seem to be in hiding but the fins are up tails are fully out and wide ! tested water looking good results wise.
I was wondering if it is worth getting something that lives on the substrate and will clean up the tank ? My plec can only do so much !! What are your thoughts guys ??!!!!

What are u trying to clean

How bigs the tank and what are you trying to clean? If it extra waste maybe a clown loach or an oto. But there's probably a better fish then that

Back
Top Bottom