Help identify this pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phatpaul

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, Can any one tell me is this a pleco or panaque. Also what is the name of the species too

Attachments

• image-3608700267.jpg
    image-3608700267.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 96
Another pic

Attachments

• image-798150916.jpg
    image-798150916.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 91
Albino bushy nosed pleco/ABN/Ancistrus cirrhosus/Ancistrus are some names or terms used to describe this pleco. They are a great fish. I recommend one per 20 gallons of tank space. Driftwood is appreciated to rasp on.

This particular one is a female.

Hi. I don't think it's a BN as iv had them before. He/she is 6-7inch long and BN are normal 4in. I should of said that in the first description, I used the name panaque(I think that's how you spell it) because it's got the same body shape as them, it's about 2inch wide and 2inch tall and tapers down to the tail quite dramatically

I've had BN plecos that get much larger than 4", up to and including the 6" range. You might be right though and it could possibly be an albino of another species. I am no pleco expert by any means but this one appeared to me to be an ABN.

Lol yeah I'm no expert when it comes to plecos either. I'll try and get a better quality pic soon as the crappy ones iv taken doesn't do it justice I defo don't think it's a BN though, I was given this little devil by my girlfriends sister as she was closing down her tank, it's in my 155 litre tank and was wondering if this was going to out grow the tank

Post it on a catfish forum where there are many people that deal with these things all of the time. I don't think there are too many types of panaque, so it shouldn't be hard to determine what it is.

Pleco identification is not my forte. I suggest PMing Discusapisto because he knows a fair amount about IDing species.

Lol thanks I think he/she is a beauty, I'm just worried im going to have to give him/her to my dad to put in his 5ft tank as it might out grow my tank and I would rather do it sooner than later before I get to attached to it lol

I'll google that now, are they the ones that grow huge!!!

Back
Top Bottom