Help Me Decide!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sparkling Gouramis are much smaller than the normal gouramis who need 15 gallons. You could put a sparkling gourami in a 2 gallon, no problem. I would not recommend shrimp with them, as the shrimp would be killed and or eaten, I believe. Almost any fish will eat dwarf shrimp, so really they are meant to be in a tank of their own.

The ability to keep tankmates with bettas depends fully on the personality of the fish, and i have not had good luck with them. My current betta has a 5 gallon all to himself because he attacks everything that comes in to the tank. He ate a neon tetra, ate the antennas off of 3 snails, and attacks my hand and the gravel vac when I put it in the tank.

Dwarf puffers are cool, but they can't be fed dry food, and frozen food is much more expensive than dry, so keep that in mind. Also, they need beak trimming, so you need to feed them something with shells once a week to keep their teeth from overgrowing. They are scaleless fish, so they do need great water quality. They also need a very over-filtered tank. However, if you are up to doing frequent water changes and you can afford the frozen food, I would say go for it. They are cool little fish.

Sparkling Gouramis are much smaller than the normal gouramis who need 15 gallons. You could put a sparkling gourami in a 2 gallon, no problem. I would not recommend shrimp with them, as the shrimp would be killed and or eaten, I believe. Almost any fish will eat dwarf shrimp, so really they are meant to be in a tank of their own.

The ability to keep tankmates with bettas depends fully on the personality of the fish, and i have not had good luck with them. My current betta has a 5 gallon all to himself because he attacks everything that comes in to the tank. He ate a neon tetra, ate the antennas off of 3 snails, and attacks my hand and the gravel vac when I put it in the tank.

Dwarf puffers are cool, but they can't be fed dry food, and frozen food is much more expensive than dry, so keep that in mind. Also, they need beak trimming, so you need to feed them something with shells once a week to keep their teeth from overgrowing. They are scaleless fish, so they do need great water quality. They also need a very over-filtered tank. However, if you are up to doing frequent water changes and you can afford the frozen food, I would say go for it. They are cool little fish.

Well, since I am only thirteen, I think I will stay away from the dwarf puffer. I would really like one, but I think I am going to have easier fish first.

I don't mind doing water changes often, but I don't think I could get frozen food, since I don't get allowance very often.. :ermm:

So right now, since I am for sure going to have the 29 gal community tank, so that will be big for me. So maybe I will start with the shrimp or betta tank, and then move on from there?

The dwarf puffer is really cool! By the way the dwarf puffer doesn't need it's beak trimmed. However frozen food is like 10$ for probably a months food. And it requires a 50% WC every week. However to make the food last longer you can alternate frozen and pond snails. I'm breeding pond snails in like a 2 gal tank to feed to the puffers. Just giving you all the stuff to think about! I'm excited to finally get mine :)

The dwarf puffer is really cool! By the way the dwarf puffer doesn't need it's beak trimmed. However frozen food is like 10$ for probably a months food. And it requires a 50% WC every week. However to make the food last longer you can alternate frozen and pond snails. I'm breeding pond snails in like a 2 gal tank to feed to the puffers. Just giving you all the stuff to think about! I'm excited to finally get mine :)

If my parents would actually give me my allowance, then I would get one. But, I am new to all of this stuff, and the 29 gall tank will be probably enough to start with. We have horses, and goats, and chickens, and dogs, and cats, so I don't want to overload my self. :lol: And I homeschooling, so I am in charge of that too :lol:

I think I will do the 29 gal community tank, and then the shrimp or betta tank.

Anyone have any tips for me for the shrimp or betta?

:thanks:

Scottyhorse said:
Anyone have any tips for me for the shrimp or betta?

:thanks:

Lots of plants so the shrimps and shrimplets can take cover (lots of good stuff grow on the plants that shrimp line to eat too) and I put cuttlebone in my shrimp/snail tank. Shrimps use calcuim to strengthen their carapaces :) I also use a sponge filter. Lessens the chance of shrimplets being sucked up into a filter and my Betta appreciates not getting knocked around by the flow of a hob.

Get some kind of moss for the bottom of the tank for the shrimp to hide in. Java moss is common and easy to find, doesn't require high light and my shrimp love hinding in it. For the betta, choose a plant that grows tall with wide leaves. For low light, crypts would fit this description. Crypt wendtii would be a good choice, it's leaves are medium width, and it (slowly) grows fairly high. Mine is almost up to 10" and my betta rests in the stems/on the leaves.

Here is a funny thing I learned. I went and got a 2.5 gallon tank for a Betta tank. I thought that it would not cost that much being it's only a 2.5 gallon tank. I ended up spending a little more than 100 dollars. :p Decorations, a heater, a little filter, and also a light. Didn't think it would cost much. I am sure that I didn't need a lot of what I bought.

My point is just because your 13 does not mean you can't get a bigger tank, or take on a fish that's a little harder than most. Also the tank itself is not much usually it's all the other stuff you need that raises the cost. Does it come with a heater? Does it come with rocks and so on? You sound like a very smart kid when it comes to fish tanks. Just don't forget to cycle the tank first, before adding fish!!! You can look up all the information you need. Most of the time it's just throwing a uncooked shrimp into the tank and letting the Bactria grow. It's a little more involved than that, but that's the jest.

I think you can do the puffer if you really want too, it may cost a little more for the food, but it's not that much more. I think you should go with what you really want, because once you get a tank going, it's there for however long the fish live for. So get something you know you like, and do the research on the fish you want before you make the purchase. Researching the fish you want and finding out what it needs in order to live a full life will save you A LOT of time and money!

Here is a pic of the betta tank that set me back 100. :p

Here is a funny thing I learned. I went and got a 2.5 gallon tank for a Betta tank. I thought that it would not cost that much being it's only a 2.5 gallon tank. I ended up spending a little more than 100 dollars. :p Decorations, a heater, a little filter, and also a light. Didn't think it would cost much. I am sure that I didn't need a lot of what I bought.

My point is just because your 13 does not mean you can't get a bigger tank, or take on a fish that's a little harder than most. Also the tank itself is not much usually it's all the other stuff you need that raises the cost. Does it come with a heater? Does it come with rocks and so on? You sound like a very smart kid when it comes to fish tanks. Just don't forget to cycle the tank first, before adding fish!!! You can look up all the information you need. Most of the time it's just throwing a uncooked shrimp into the tank and letting the Bactria grow. It's a little more involved than that, but that's the jest.

I think you can do the puffer if you really want too, it may cost a little more for the food, but it's not that much more. I think you should go with what you really want, because once you get a tank going, it's there for however long the fish live for. So get something you know you like, and do the research on the fish you want before you make the purchase. Researching the fish you want and finding out what it needs in order to live a full life will save you A LOT of time and money!

Here is a pic of the betta tank that set me back 100. :p

I am going to get a kit. I could just buy a heater and put him in the two gal I already have, but I think I am going to get a bigger tank for him. :lol:

For the 2 gal I used Tetra Safe Start. I LOVE that stuff. It cycled the tank in 24 hours!! I am going to use that stuff again for sure.

Now that you said this, if I can find one, I think I will get the puffer. But AFTER I get my allowance. My parents pay for my horse stuff, goat stuff, etc, but if I want something special then I have to pay for it. But I think they would pay for the food.

Now, I am still considering getting a betta. They are so beautiful. Maybe I'll get a betta, and add some ghost shrimp and a couple amanos. I'll have moss and all those plants and stuff. I love the look of planted tanks! Then, depending on my bettas temperament, I'll add some cherry shrimp. I don't care if he eats a few, I just don't want him to eat ALL of them :p

Trust me, I get in trouble for reading about fish too much :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't cycle a tank by using Tetra Safe Start. The reason is the Bactria is mostly made up of Junk bacteria. It may not look cool for 3 or 4 weeks, but cycling the tank with a fishless cycle is the best!

As long as you know how to test your water with a test kit, you can do a cycle without fish easily. Sadly I used Tetra Safe Start and my tank still cycled and my fish died of ammonia. You need to cycle the correct way, it's a good practice to learn especially if you are young to this hobby!! Learn it now, and in the future it will save you time and MONEY!!!

Well water should be fine, use the water conditioner. Use the conditioner every time you do a water change on your tank. Which by the way should be done once a week. Just use the gravel vacuum and suck up as much gunk off the bottom as you can. Into a five gallon bucket. Replace the old water with clean water! Also with your Filter make sure you get a sponge you can cut and place behind the carbon filter. That sponge will grow good Bactria. You will never replace that sponge!! All you do is take it out and swish it around in the OLD water you just removed to get the big gunk off the sponge, you will not use clean water to clean the sponge, and DON"T squeeze it, just shake it off a little and put back into the filter behind the carbon filter. The carbon filter is the only thing you can replace.

baron1282 said:
I wouldn't cycle a tank by using Tetra Safe Start. The reason is the Bactria is mostly made up of Junk bacteria. It may not look cool for 3 or 4 weeks, but cycling the tank with a fishless cycle is the best!

As long as you know how to test your water with a test kit, you can do a cycle without fish easily. Sadly I used Tetra Safe Start and my tank still cycled and my fish died of ammonia. You need to cycle the correct way, it's a good practice to learn especially if you are young to this hobby!! Learn it now, and in the future it will save you time and MONEY!!!

Well water should be fine, use the water conditioner. Use the conditioner every time you do a water change on your tank. Which by the way should be done once a week. Just use the gravel vacuum and suck up as much gunk off the bottom as you can. Into a five gallon bucket. Replace the old water with clean water! Also with your Filter make sure you get a sponge you can cut and place behind the carbon filter. That sponge will grow good Bactria. You will never replace that sponge!! All you do is take it out and swish it around in the OLD water you just removed to get the big gunk off the sponge, you will not use clean water to clean the sponge, and DON"T squeeze it, just shake it off a little and put back into the filter behind the carbon filter. The carbon filter is the only thing you can replace.

It's totally safe when done correctly.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side

I did it this way with all my tanks. I had 7 tanks running till I combined 2 now I have 6 active tanks with happy, healthy, beautiful fish and 2 150g builds which will be cycled the same.

AndrewsPistol said:
It's totally safe when done correctly.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side

I did it this way with all my tanks. I had 7 tanks running till I combined 2 now I have 6 active tanks with happy, healthy, beautiful fish and 2 150g builds which will be cycled the same.

Safe is a subjective term. It's both very difficult to know if a fish is suffering as it is any damage that is done to them long term during the process.

It's hard because it would be unfair to attribute all fish that died after a fish-in cycle to the process but conversely it would be unfair to say that all fish who survive the process are happy and healthy.

Great advice. I suppose it would be good for me to learn to cycle the tank the 'proper' way. What could I add to help things speed along? I'll have it planted before I start the cycle. Would that be good or bad? Also, I don't want to use pure ammonia. My bedroom is in the basement. So, there is poor ventilation, and I have asthma, so my lungs are uber sensitive to chemicals like that:lol:

What kind of water conditioner should I buy? There are millions out there, it seems! Lol.

A fish in cycle can be done, sure. But like one person said, how can you know if your fish is fine? You never know!!

As for speeding along a cycle, get a sponge like I said. Put it in your tank filter you already have and let the good Bactria build up on that sponge. Get your tank and set it up with everything running. Than go to the grocery store buy a bag of uncooked shrimp! You will than go home and throw one shrimp into the tank (You can do this with raw fish too). Now take the seeded sponge out of the tank you had it in for a few weeks or months (Takes a good three to four weeks to seed a sponge) and put that sponge into the new tank filter. That should help speed the cycle along, test your water and when Ammonia starts reading ZERO, do a 90% water change and remove any left over shrimp (Should take a few weeks). Test the water again, and make sure readings are good. Now remember your good bacteria will need something to eat, so if your tank is fine go get the fish you want. Start out slow and add about two fish at first and wait about 2 weeks. Than add 2 more and wait again. Do this until your tank is stocked to where you want it and most importantly what is good for the fish. DO NOT overstock the tank, less is more!! Only get fish that will live it's full life in your tank and be ok with the swim space provided for it, and don't over populate the tank. That will overload your good Bactria and cause a ammonia spike!

Here is a good article about it http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-a...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

A fish in cycle can be done, sure. But like one person said, how can you know if your fish is fine? You never know!!

As for speeding along a cycle, get a sponge like I said. Put it in your tank filter you already have and let the good Bactria build up on that sponge. Get your tank and set it up with everything running. Than go to the grocery store buy a bag of uncooked shrimp! You will than go home and throw one shrimp into the tank (You can do this with raw fish too). Now take the seeded sponge out of the tank you had it in for a few weeks or months (Takes a good three to four weeks to seed a sponge) and put that sponge into the new tank filter. That should help speed the cycle along, test your water and when Ammonia starts reading ZERO, do a 90% water change and remove any left over shrimp (Should take a few weeks). Test the water again, and make sure readings are good. Now remember your good bacteria will need something to eat, so if your tank is fine go get the fish you want. Start out slow and add about two fish at first and wait about 2 weeks. Than add 2 more and wait again. Do this until your tank is stocked to where you want it and most importantly what is good for the fish. DO NOT overstock the tank, less is more!! Only get fish that will live it's full life in your tank and be ok with the swim space provided for it, and don't over populate the tank. That will overload your good Bactria and cause a ammonia spike!

Here is a good article about it The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Never thought about putting the shrimp in there... Could I also put some of the substrate and the fake plant in there to help too?

I don't know if you have any experience with Dwarf Puffers? I heard they need over-filtration. Like, how much? I know for gold fish they need 3-4x. Is it the same for dwarf puffers?

Scottyhorse said:
Never thought about putting the shrimp in there... Could I also put some of the substrate and the fake plant in there to help too?

I don't know if you have any experience with Dwarf Puffers? I heard they need over-filtration. Like, how much? I know for gold fish they need 3-4x. Is it the same for dwarf puffers?

I have on my tanks anywhere from 5x-10x the gallons in the tank and all the time nomatter what the stock. On my 37 it has 350gph and my 75gal has 625gph.....

I have on my tanks anywhere from 5x-10x the gallons in the tank and all the time nomatter what the stock. On my 37 it has 350gph and my 75gal has 625gph.....

Wow... Your water must be very clean! Is that really necessary though? It seems a little much...

Scottyhorse said:
Wow... Your water must be very clean! Is that really necessary though? It seems a little much...

It is but I am a little OCD about my water conditions being perfect. I have a filter up to 175gallons on my 75gallon tank

It is but I am a little OCD about my water conditions being perfect. I have a filter up to 175gallons on my 75gallon tank

:lol: I get it. I want clean water too. On my soon to be 29 gal tank, I am going to have 2 German Blue Rams, 6 Orange Von Rio Tetras, 6 Furcata Rainbow Fish. Then I'll have a couple of Nerite Snails, and some shrimp. What size of filter would you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom