Help me get my hubby into the hobby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
My hubby is finally showing a little interest in the hobby and total distain since I started four years ago. He always irrationally disliked aquariums and had no idea why. He's a great husband though and has indulged me in a limited way and in return I have fairly successfully battled MTS for his sake.

My tank is a newly cycled and established 55 gal planted w/ a black sand & EC combo for a substrate. See pic:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424898414.580763.jpg

Since the above pic almost two weeks ago I've added 8 Longfin Gold Danios. No pic yet, they are too fast. My hubby mentioned he likes the fish that swim together in a school better. So maybe this one?

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

That's a beautiful tank! Looks like a painting. I bet you had fun creating it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you! I did!

Now if I could just get some decent pics of the danios...

May have to film them...

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Have him buy his own fish/plant? or help take care of it? or get him his own AA login :D

My hubby is finally showing a little interest in the hobby and total distain since I started four years ago. He always irrationally disliked aquariums and had no idea why. He's a great husband though and has indulged me in a limited way and in return I have fairly successfully battled MTS for his sake.

My tank is a newly cycled and established 55 gal planted w/ a black sand & EC combo for a substrate. See pic:
View attachment 265457

Since the above pic almost two weeks ago I've added 8 Longfin Gold Danios. No pic yet, they are too fast. My hubby mentioned he likes the fish that swim together in a school better. So maybe this one?

I let my husband help me pick out new fish and I make him name at least one, lol. I wouldn't say he's interested in the hobby, but he seems really happy that I found a hobby that makes me so happy. So, that's kind of how he supports me. He has no interest in the upkeep of the tanks, but he responds pretty well when I ask him about technical stuff, like how to quiet a filter or what to use to clean a tank, that kind of thing. Then he kind of jumps right in. Also, if I leave fish stuff around long enough, sort of in the way, he'll ask what I need to do and then take care of it just to get me going, lol. For my 20 long he cleaned all my sand!

Nice looking tank!!! My husband doesn't get the obsession either although he is very tolerant of my endless tank browsing and constant trips to Petsmart and our LFS for new supplies!!! Lol
I have no advice on his yo get him involved tho... Is he handy? Maybe some DIY projects? Homemade filters or styrofoam backgrounds?? DIY background is my next attempt! Did the home sponge filters successfully with a little help from my father in law. Lots of fun things to get into and try!!! Maybe he'll enjoy that aspect?! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Take him to your LFS introduce him too some easy to breed SA dwarf cichlids. That's how I got my brother into the hobby he's only young so I do water changes and maintenance but he approves of everything first before I do it. I took him to the store and said "guppies or platys" he chose platys and if one is gravid he watches it like a hawk and makes sure all the fry are fed, and accounted for.

When you come to do a rescape let him help and you then start to put things in weird places. Let him critique you but don't make it obvious. Even if his scape is rubbish just agree with him that it looks better his way. This will work because how will feel he has had an input in to the tank. If it gets to the point where he is trying to take over just say "hey you this is my tank you know, if you want to play you can always by your own" this will work.

I did this with my gf and now she wants to live plant here 5 gallon. She's talking about Eco complete. I've not even used that yet! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When you come to do a rescape let him help and you then start to put things in weird places. Let him critique you but don't make it obvious. Even if his scape is rubbish just agree with him that it looks better his way. This will work because how will feel he has had an input in to the tank. If it gets to the point where he is trying to take over just say "hey you this is my tank you know, if you want to play you can always by your own" this will work.

I did this with my gf and now she wants to live plant here 5 gallon. She's talking about Eco complete. I've not even used that yet! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Brilliant! I will so do this!

If he's a do it yourself person, that's probably the easiest way to get him involved. We're always going to appreciate an opportunity to 'grunt' in front of our significant other. Have him build a filter, stand or some other project depending on his level of skill.

Good idea! He figured out the faucet water changer for me and that made a big difference, too! Lol!

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

The spouse actually got me into the hobby many years ago when he gave me a 29g kit for Christmas. Probably wondering now if that was such a good idea :whistle:

While he's not an addict like me he's shown more interest since I started putting together a tank that will eventually move to his work office.

Back
Top Bottom