Help me setup this tank correctly. Plants/Neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hungry Seacow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 10 gallon tank, some white sand, some rocks, and a few plants. After putting it together, I feel that I could do better. I am new to this, so I don't know what plants I bought, or the correct way of going about setting this up. My goal is to have a nice planted landscape and a school of neons, maybe a few other fish and/or bottom feeders. I was looking at the gallery and really liked this guys setup! http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5054&cat=543&page=10

So far I did a PH test which came out at 6.5. Don't neons like it higher? I think I read somewhere that the sand might be causing the PH to be so low. I would like a more natural look, but would prefer not to go with a brown substrate. The link above looks to have a black colored substrate which looks nice. I also like the look of the "grassy" foliage. Here is a picture of what I setup today. I will be returning the hood/filter because both are made like crap. I am thinking of ordering a Marineland Eclipse 1 hood for the tank. Let me know what I could do! Good substrate/planting/neon tips please!!! Thanks!

Attachments

• dsc01103.jpg
    dsc01103.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 104
Dont worry about the PH its fine.. stable is better then the exact number that fish like..
Hope you have enough light for the plants you picked out... check this guide..
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php
I would get a striplight and glass hinged lid + a aquaclear mini filter if your getting rid of the hood..

Thanks for the link! From what I can tell I have, two anacharis, one alternanthera and one Hedge! I guess I will have to throw out the hedge since the web site says that it is not a true aquarium plant and will rot!

Does anyone know what substrate that guy used in his tank? I really like his setup and would like to get something like that.

It looks like eco-complete.. Its about 26 dollars a bag, one would do for your little tank, at a pet store..
You might want to look into the Planted Tank area.. that tank has plants that look like there carpeting... that's a high maintainance rig.. High light, CO2 injection, and fertilizers most of the time.. In other words you might want to ask what plant carpets and doesnt need alot of light... I think there is at least one it just isnt comming to me right now.. sorry about that.. I think it might be micro-swords or something to that effect.. not sure.. ACK!

No, from the second I added it to my 10 gal it never clouded my water.
They sell them $17 a bag here.

I hate to say this, but your alternathia renekii doesn't look right at all. it looks just like dragons flame to me, which is a non-aquatic and should rot and die within a couple days.
The photo is a bit too small for me to be 100%

This is alternathia
Alternathera2.jpg

this is dragons flame
5bunch3.jpg

Yea, malkore it looks like the second picture that you posted.. the dragons flame..
Blazeherd2306..
What retailer did you find eco-complete for $17 a bag?

I went to another LFS to look for eco-complete and some more plants. They didn't have the substrate but I did manage to pick up four more plants. I got two more anacharis and am not totally sure what the other two are. One looks like it might be a compact hygro. It sure is hard to ID these plants! I also have added better pictures of the plants that I removed.

Attachments

• dsc01107.jpg
    dsc01107.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 31
  • dsc01108.jpg
    dsc01108.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 45
  • dsc01109.jpg
    dsc01109.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 47
the plants stand up out of the water.. thats a sign that its terrestrial, not for underwater.. do any of the new ones do this? And you will most likely need to ask someone that can order merchandise to find out how much they would charge for the eco-complete, it sounds like they would have to order it..
Its a good idea to find out wich plants you want, ones that would do well for the lighting conditions that you will be giving them, and then look for them.. buying plants by looking at what they look like is likely not a good idea..

Back
Top Bottom