Help! Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL betta....i know the feeling coz everytime we always go to my Mother in law's every weekend so the kids can see the grandparents (we sleepover), all I want to do is go back home to be with my tanks. LOL. Is that crazy or what?

Nope, my tank doesn't even have the fish yet!!

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

So how will I know that it's completely cycled? When the ammonia level doesn't go higher and the water is clear? If that's the case should I be doing pwc every time the ammonia level gets high? Every time the water gets cloudy?

By constantly checking the levels, you will know when your tank is completely cycled. Ammonia and Nitrites will constantly be 0 and your Nitrates will be around 5-20ppm. But up to 40ppm is ideal as well. I like mine in the 20s coz I have planted tanks (live plants). The bacteria that should only exist in the tank is the colony that will consume the nitrites which in turn consume the ammonia. That's why testing is very crucial in the cycling process.

If you always see levels of ammonia and nitrite more than 0, your tank is not cycled yet. Always do at least 50% water change everytime you test ammonia and nitrite above 0.25ppm. Above 0.25ppm are detrimental to fishes...

So, to summarize, check parameters, if levels are higher than that, do PWC. That would be your routine for the rest of the cycling process. P.S. Don't forget the dechlorinator every PWC (I know you know that already).

it's the anticipation...trust me...I have two tanks in cycle right now that I can't wait to put stock on...

Okay, last time I changed the water was last night. So it has been at least 24 hours since. Here are the ranges of what I have so far. The water is slighty cloudy, almost hazy, not bad but not as clear as I would like. I want it look like in the stores.

10 gallon and 29 gallon tanks
Ammonia is 0 ppm,
Nitrite is 0 ppm, and
Nitrate is somewhere between 5.0 ppm and 10 ppm.

it does looked like you are in the final stages of your cycle....check it again everyday for the next 2 days...if it stays the same, then that means both your tanks are cycled. If the ammonia and nitrites level will rise up again, then it's not. If it really does though, and your water is still cloudy, you might need another filter.

I'll try and find the actual model/names but all I know is that it's the filters that came with the fish tank bundles. Aqueon i believe is how you spell it for 10g and 29g. Both the same brands.

Okay...thanks for that...okay, so far, just constant water check and see what happens, if it goes back up, that means water change, if not, you are finished with cycling. If still cloudy, let us know...we can find a solution without involving chemical alterations...

although I would say that it is quite enough filter for your tank, so many members here will say to double the amount of your filter with respect to your tank size. Like for exmple, for your 10G, they would say to get a filter that is good for a 20G. So for your 29G, you should get a filter that is good for a 60G. Over filtration is better than under filtration.

+1 to over filtration

Never hurts and keeps the tank cleaner, but most important, the filter manufacturers trend to overate the capacity of their equipment, for example, some filters stated that they process 300G per hour, when in reality if you measure it will be more in the range of 200, and with time, with the use, and the cartridges getting dirt, the range can drop to 150G per hour.

Congrats for being in the final stretch. I agree with the overfiltration. It's better to overfiltrate than underfiltrate.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Hey everyone, sorry it's been a while since the last post. This is just an update since then. So I have been watching the water clarity and again it's starting to get a little funky looking. And everyday I have been checking the levels everyday and got the same results. 0 for ammonia, 0 for nitrite, 5-10ppm for nitrite for both tanks. Didn't know if i was supposed to change the water but but it was starting to look bad. So here is my question, let's say for argument's sake that my 29 gallon is overstocked and that's why I can't keep the water clear. How come the same thing happens to my 10 gallon tank that currently is only housing 1 fish? I am thinking that I should get a more powerful filter. What options do I have to clear up the water? What other causes could it be? I have been looking at the power filter they keep advertising on this website on the banners. They are couple of hundred bucks.

Welcome to AA!

Just to add to all of the good advice; frequent partial water changes, along with gravel vacuuming and not over-feeding will help you get to clear water. I also agree with BigJim and Daileene; Seachem Prime is the way to go...no salt and also no carbon....filter floss works well, in place of carbon (if you have it in your filter or were contemplating it) Luanne

I would say get a higher rate filter. Like daileene said, double the rating for your tank. I also have a 29 gallon with a AquaClear 70 and my water is crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom