Help! Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, a gallon per fish wouldn't work. That would be like saying... Oh for the sake of exaggeration, putting a common pleco in a gallon bowl because it was one fish. Yeah, that'd get a lot of outrage.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

LOL yep...common pleco that would grow up to 24" in a 10G....not right....but oh, it is only one fish...I can see that....I am so guilty of that...I have two common plecos in my 10G...LOL! but they are going away soon to a new home (at least they are still in the 2" and 3" size).

Okay, I'll keep checking it again when it starts getting cloudy. About not changing the filter media unless it's falling apart...I wish I would have known about that earlier. Read it right after I changed the water again couple of days ago. :( With the test kit I will keep checking the waters and hopefully it'll fix itself soon. If not I will be back on here! Okay question, so let's say the water gets cloudy again (im sure it will) I check the water and ammonia is all sorts of crazy! Do I just do a 50 pwc? Don't remove the filter or siphon the gravel correct? If the water is okay with ammonia, do I leave the water cloudy? Like the other member said It'll just clear up?

I'm pretty sure its a gallon per inch of fish...not a gallon per fish...but I could be wrong! I'm a beginner too :)

That rule of thumb is a terrible one to follow. For example, a 10-inch oscar isn't even close comparison-wise to 10 one-inch neon tetras, and I hope no one would ever try to put a 10 inch oscar in a 10 gallon tank. :p

To give yourself a starting point, you could use AqAdvisor (link in my sig) to help plan out how you'd like to stock your aquarium. Keep in mind that it's just a good guideline and not gospel, and it never hurts to ask others on the forums about your stocking plans to see if it's a good idea.

Oh crap...well at least I said I could be wrong! Phew!! And i love Aqadvisor btw!

Sometimes the rule works, but often it doesn't. You wouldn't put a goldfish that was one inch in length in a gallon bowl, and that's just one example of many I could think of.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

My answers in red:

Okay, I'll keep checking it again when it starts getting cloudy.

Hi! Do not wait until it gets cloudy. Check parameters everyday coz you are still in the cycling process. I know it is a pain...but since you have fishes while cycling, bioload of the fishes always affect the ammonia level. So water change is always a must EVERYTIME it goes up beyond 0.25ppm. That goes right with the nitrite level as well.

About not changing the filter media unless it's falling apart...I wish I would have known about that earlier. Read it right after I changed the water again couple of days ago. :(

I am so sorry, I should have mention that early in the post. It always gets neglected and it is one of the most important thing in the cycle process. My apologies again.

With the test kit I will keep checking the waters and hopefully it'll fix itself soon.

Since it is still in the cycle process, it will not fix itself soon. The levels will just keep on rising if you will not do PWC.

If not I will be back on here! Okay question, so let's say the water gets cloudy again (im sure it will)

Yes, it definitely will coz it is still in the cycle process.

I check the water and ammonia is all sorts of crazy! Do I just do a 50 pwc? Don't remove the filter or siphon the gravel correct?

Correct.

If the water is okay with ammonia, do I leave the water cloudy? Like the other member said It'll just clear up?

I doubt it will be okay with ammonia, because of the bioload (poop, unfinished food) from the fishes. The other mentioned it being clearing up in a few days is for an established tank (meaning, it is finished cycling).

So don't leave the water cloudy (that means high levels of toxic bacteria)

daileene said:
My answers in red:

I just wanted to ask you, is it just the app that doesn't show the red, or is not red? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Bettababe1011 said:
I just wanted to ask you, is it just the app that doesn't show the red, or is not red? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I cant see it on my phone either :) glad I'm not crazy...or something

It may be the app. I've noticed other things that were supposedly typed in color showing up black on the iPod. I'm not sure why that would be like that though.

LOL...you guys are silly...I don't have an apps in my phone (i only got a straighttalk here--cheapskate)...so I don't know...I am using my laptop so I guess that makes a difference in the output? can you guys see my answer though?

Yeah, we see the answer, at least I do, and it's just in black. Not blue. Hmm...

Hmm... That's not fair that we don't get the colors!!! Lol.

Okay, I just checked the water again, just to double check everything came out fine. I will check it again tomorrow. So how will I know that it's completely cycled? When the ammonia level doesn't go higher and the water is clear? If that's the case should I be doing pwc every time the ammonia level gets high? Every time the water gets cloudy?

I don't have a laptop, and my computer is at my moms, just like my aquarium. AQUARIUM WITHDRAWALS!!!! Lol!

Okay, I just checked the water again, just to double check everything came out fine. I will check it again tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your help!

You are so welcome....I hope you didn't think we are being mean...we have all the greatest intention...it is very confusing at first, at least I thought it was, but you will get the hang of it...it will be so rewarding in the end....:)

Back
Top Bottom