Help/Recommendations on lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
For my 125 gal I have a light fixture it is just a standard 4' light with flourescent bulbs. They are aquarium bulbs but don't do my cichlids color any justice. Lighting fixtures are an arm and a leg, so my question is what can I do to better increase the lighting to show off my fish? Keep in mind I am not an electrical wizard please :lol: or I'd know the answer to my own question. Perhaps there are better bulbs to be chosen from? Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA.

For Africans, 50/50s and Actinics bring out the coloration better. It was a total 360 when we added our new strip with the bulbs.

Can these bulbs you mentioned go into a lighting fixture that currently holds flourescents? Or does it require special fixtures? I know nothing about lighting. :oops:

You can use the same fixture. Just make sure that the new bulbs are the same size. Is the strip a single tube?

It is a dual strip, I will have to check the ballast I believe to make sure of the maximum rating won't I?

One last question LOL I promise, what is the difference between actinic and 50/50 bulbs. And FF did you use the 50/50's?

I think I just figured it out. LOL 50/50 bulbs ar4 50% actinic and 50% true daylight, that would be what I want I am guessing.

Yes, 50/50's are 50% Actinic and 50% pure light. I have a triple tube strip on our 150 gal tank with two 50/50's and one Actinic. I could not believe the difference that it made. The colors popped and the fish looked amazing.

Well I went to every lfs in town and not one of them even carries these bulbs. I was hoping to get them locally but looks like online will be my only option. How likely are the bulbs to arrive in one piece?

I ordered the bulbs from Big Al's and they were cheaper than the lfs. None of them were broken, they ship VERY well.

i also just ordered bulbs from big als and they came in perfect shape and was no price difference from the store. www.bigalsonline.com. just link to the canadain site and voila all your shopping needs in one place lol

Back
Top Bottom