help setting up canister pls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just recently purchased a canister filter and will be setting it up for the first time this weekend. It did not come with any kind of media, unless you count the super thin material at the bottom of each tray as a mechanical filter.

I just have a few questions about how to set everything up:

A) Will any brand of bio-media fit into any brand filter? ie, will Fluval bio-rings be ok inside my SunSun canister?

B) What is the preferred type of bio-media? Ive heard of bio-rings and bio-balls, but am not sure what else is available.

C) Does the bio-media need to be loaded into mesh media bags or can I just fill the canister's tray?

D) I have 4 trays in the canister. From bottom to top, what is the correct order of filtration? Mechanical, Bio, mechanical, bio? Mechanical, Bio, Bio, Mechanical? I do not plan on any charcoal.

Im sure more questions will come to me, but these are what come to mind at the moment. Please feel free to pre-answer any other common questions that may have been asked in the past.

I just recently purchased a canister filter and will be setting it up for the first time this weekend. It did not come with any kind of media, unless you count the super thin material at the bottom of each tray as a mechanical filter.

I just have a few questions about how to set everything up:

A) Will any brand of bio-media fit into any brand filter? ie, will Fluval bio-rings be ok inside my SunSun canister?

B) What is the preferred type of bio-media? Ive heard of bio-rings and bio-balls, but am not sure what else is available.

C) Does the bio-media need to be loaded into mesh media bags or can I just fill the canister's tray?

D) I have 4 trays in the canister. From bottom to top, what is the correct order of filtration? Mechanical, Bio, mechanical, bio? Mechanical, Bio, Bio, Mechanical? I do not plan on any charcoal.

Im sure more questions will come to me, but these are what come to mind at the moment. Please feel free to pre-answer any other common questions that may have been asked in the past.

Top: sponge
2nd: filter floss
3rd: bio
4th bio

Is what I would do. Not sure on any other questions.

SunSun's flow from bottom to top (I own two), so IMO...
Bottom : coarse mechanical
Next: medium mechanical
Next: ceramic rings (bio)
Top: chemical and/or fine mechanical

Ceramic rings do not need to be in a bag but it makes it easier to clean.

SunSun's flow from bottom to top (I own two), so IMO...
Bottom : coarse mechanical
Next: medium mechanical
Next: ceramic rings (bio)
Top: chemical and/or fine mechanical

Ceramic rings do not need to be in a bag but it makes it easier to clean.

I have the SunSun 304B. Any suggestions on where to get the mechanical media? Is there another brand that fits the same?

I use bio-balls at the very bottom covered by the coarse blue sponge that came with the filter. Bio-balls are not good for much but they make a good coarse filter to even out the flow.
After that I use the bulk blue and white stuff that you can cut to fit. Two layers work good.
Next is a tray full of ceramic rings.
The top I tend to stuff with poly-fill for fine filtering. This slows flow considerably so I usually only leave it in for a week or so and just leave the top tray empty most of the time.

You can get many different coarsenesses (is that a word?) of cut to fit filter pad at DF&S.

I was looking at getting the sun sun 304b uv for a 55 gallon African cichlid tank are you guys pleased with them?

You can use any bulk filter media. That's what makes canisters great. Whatever way the water flows, go coarse, to fine, with bio filtration at the end of the cycle. You can get foam and polyester padding at arts and crafts stores for super cheap.

Back
Top Bottom