Hi temp-broken heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Creamhorses

Aquarium Advice Freak
Noticed the thermometer on my 55 last night was reading 81.....odd I thought, dials on two hydor 150w's set @ ~75. Noticed one had the indicator light on, so I turned it down, thinking that it was not properly calibrated. This am the temp in the tank is still high, and the indicator light was still on.

Pulled the heater out of the tank...seemed heavy. Argggg..

Glass was cracked and full of water. I'm sure it was one of the 1/2" guppy fry body slamming themselves against the heater or....

Anyway, that's the first time I've ever had a heater tube break. And apparently it kept asking for heat. Glad there was no electrical shock thing happening, though I did have the common sense to shut off power before playing with it.

Maybe I'll look into other types of heaters next time around, though this could just be a matter of 'Sh** Happens'.

CH

Check out the Visi-therm Stealth heaters. They are not glass and will not break like the regular glass heaters. They are also black and easily hidden.

Yep. Stuff happens. How old was the heater? If there is one thing splurge on, it's a quality heater. I like the Won Pro Heat II Titanium Tube. Probably the best on the market. The temperature adjustment is located putside the tank making it very safe and convenient.

Back
Top Bottom