high ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamadude91

Aquarium Advice Activist
My aquarium water was tested by my local fish store this morning. Between 4.0ppm and 8.0ppm. They recommended API Ammo Lock and API Ammonia Test Kit. It's late evening and the ammonia levels haven't gone done. Is the test kit or brand a joke?

Yes, it's the liquid test kit. I have 5 zebra danios and 3 mollies. I had reservations about purchasing the fish today (I exchanged Tiger Barbs) because of the high ammonia levels, but the pet store swore I could put the Ammo Lock in the tank and the fish would be OK.
If I had known it was just high ammonia levels, I would have kept my Tiger Barbs. I knew something was wrong with them. I figured it was because they were stressed in cramp confines of a tank less than 30 gallons.
I've actually done 2 water changes the past two days. Not sure what the deal is.
All the other parameters test fine.

How big have the water changes been? They need to be at least around 40-50% to make a big change in amnionia levels

Get your ammonia to a readable level, 2 or less, and dose with prime. Prime detoxifies ammonia up to (I think ) 2 ppm for about 48 hours with out starving your bacteria. Ammo lock most likely will impact your cycle. Read up on the Nitrogen cycle, there is a lot to learn! You have started what is called a 'fish-in cycle" and there are tons of water changes in your future for the next 8 or so weeks. I will look for the article unless somebody beats me to it

I would say both have been about 20-25%, so I guess I need to do a larger water change. Ammo Lock says to add 5ml per US gallon every two days until ammonia is not detected. It doesn't recommend the water change until after 7 days treatment. If I do that large of a water change, will it null the Ammo Lock?

Probably, but you don't want to 'lock' your ammonia. I'm not too familiar with the product. I try to steer clear of stuff like that. Basically you want your ammonia to go away on its own. Which it will, then you will be dealing with a stubborn nitrite spike.

Back
Top Bottom