How can I keep my Ciclids alive through my tanks Cycle??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BallerTank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I recently (2 days ago) put my 40 gal. tank back up. I was told if I used the same rocks/gravel and filter I wouldn't have to wait for it to cycle... through my research I noted that the person at the pet store was wrong!! So now I have my 6 African Cichlids in my tank and i want to know if there's ANYWAY to keep them alive through the tanks cycle. I read 1 place that a 10% water change daily should do it but everywhere else states my fish will die. Does know what I can do to keep these guys alive????

F.N.
Everything in my tank is from my old set up the only thing new is the filter cartridges and water. The tank was not in use (had no water in it) for about 6 months.
Thanks.

There are a few things you can try that will definitely increase your odds of getting your fish through. Having a 40 gallon and only 6 fish will definitely help....

1. Go to the pet store and get some fast growing live plants. They will help use up the ammonia in the water and add bacteria from the tank they were already in at the pet store that will aid your cycle. If you get bunched plants, you can just leave them floating which will help you get them out easily too if you don't want them permanently. If you have a decent LFS near you, they might have floating plants (with roots that extend into the water column). Those would help a lot as well.

2. You can try to use a product like nutrafin cycle. There are varieties of this that are refrigerated and supposedly better, but I've never seen anything like that in a pet store near me. (Biospira is the one I believe). However, they get mixed reviews, so it's hard to really know if they work or not. Also, it's kind of expensive. But it's worth a shot. They're not really chemicals that will harm your aquarium.

3. Find a local aquarium society and find someone who will give you some pieces from one of their filters (sponge, floss, etc.). You can put it in your aquarium or filter (without rinsing it). It will hopefully have the cycling bacteria already in it. Alternatively, you could get some gravel from somene with an established aquarium. The filter pads/sponges/floss would probably be your best bet though.

Anyway - the number one thing I would do (other than the 10% water changes daily, maybe more if it's needed) is get some live plants. They really help tremendously...

Also - if your tank had no water in it for 6 months, you can pretty much bet there's no beneficial bacteria left.

Reactions: HN1
As the above poster said, It is possible to skip a long cycling process by using substrate and filter material from an active tank. However, any good bacteria you had in your gravel and filter previously are long dead- they need water and an ammonia source to keep them alive. Planting the tank could accelerate the duration of the cycling, but the most important thing will be keeping track of your water parameters and doing partial water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrItes in the tank as low as possible. If you can, get yourself a water testing kit asap (most prefer a liquid test kit for accuracy). Nitrites and ammonia should really be .25ppm or lower if you want to avoid stressing your fish. As was mentioned, you can try a bacterial additive such a Biospira or SafeStart to speed up the process. Many have tried them with mixed results, but IMO they can't hurt.

As the above poster said, It is possible to skip a long cycling process by using substrate and filter material from an active tank. However, any good bacteria you had in your gravel and filter previously are long dead- they need water and an ammonia source to keep them alive. Planting the tank could accelerate the duration of the cycling, but the most important thing will be keeping track of your water parameters and doing partial water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrItes in the tank as low as possible. If you can, get yourself a water testing kit asap (most prefer a liquid test kit for accuracy). Nitrites and ammonia should really be .25ppm or lower if you want to avoid stressing your fish. As was mentioned, you can try a bacterial additive such a Biospira or SafeStart to speed up the process. Many have tried them with mixed results, but IMO they can't hurt.

I agree. Testing water parameters is essential. It helps you know when/how much of a water change you need. I don't think your fish are doomed. You can get through it, it's just going to take quite a bit of work...

Just water changes testing water daily and more if necersarry and do 30% or so water changes. The plants will help ever so slighty but testing is something that has do be done. Also read HN1's article it really helps i have read it and it covers some essentail stuff.

at my lfs if you buy a sponge filter, they will give you an established one from their tank. good luck though.

fwiw, i was given about 10 adult cichlids with a tank and i knew NOTHING about them until this forum. they survived no salts, poor water, low alkalinity, almost acid water and inappropriate tank mates until i got my crap together.

they can be pretty hardy little things.. and if all else fails, find a foster :)

a sponge filter should help you out, or maybe even a used biowheel etc...

good luck with the fishies :)

Thanks everyone! I am conducting my daily water changes even though every time I do so it freaks my fish out they'll start swimming up and down in the corners for a good hour or two then go back to normal. My water water results came back as follows Nitrate 20ppm, Nitrite 1.0ppm, Hardness 150ppm, Alkalanity 300ppm and my PH is at 8.2 any further advice you guys might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

A PWC should be less stressful to a fish than poor water conditions. Are you making sure to keep your water the same temp when you're doing the water changes?

I wouldn't worry about your water Hardness, PH, or Alkalanity at the moment. What you really need to test for is Ammonia and NitrItes.

White stuff on my SD's

ok so so far so good on the water levels... new problem though. i threw 2 silver dollars (they were on special) in order to get some water with bacteria in the tank. everything was fine until almost a week in to it when the SD started getting salt like spots on them. i figured it was ich so i bought some "quik cure" and followed the instructions.. as soon as i started the med cycle my SD started getting white like fungus on the sides. i started a API tetracyclyn med but im not sure if thats a good idea or not.. all my other fish 6 cichlids seem to be fine with no signs of the spots or fungi but sucker fish is starting to get the white spots. im almost ready to take the SD out and back to the petshop in order to prevent any infection to my cichlids but feel bad for i think the pet store will just discard them. can i save these guys????

STOP adding. No more fish, chemicals, quickie cures, or magic potions until you have an established cycle. Otherwise you will forever be chasing a new issue. Read the articles that have been linked for you. Adding fish or water does not add bacteria and is quite probably the worst thing to do in your current situation. JMHO. Good luck.

i threw 2 silver dollars (they were on special) in order to get some water with bacteria in the tank.

I don't know how this would help. Are you saying that you added the pet store water (that came with your new fish) into your tank? Everything I've read says to discard the water that comes with your fish to prevent introduction of parasites and other contamination. Furthermore, it's my understanding that the beneficial bacteria that you need for your cycle is barely present in the tank water. The bacteria stick to substrates (like gravel, rocks, wood, filters, etc.).

You should rehome everything and fishless cycle if you have the ability. Better yet, find someone local to you with an established tank and get some media. Short of that, you'll need lots of water changes and a chunk of time. Random meds and chemicals will only result in a larger pricetag for the experience.

Thanks for all the advise EVERYONE. I used the quick cure along side tetracycline and now everyone in the tank is happy. Also kinda weird but I'm getting water results of 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia with a 20 nitrate.... Is it possible my tank is fully cycled? I'm still doing the daily water changes because the nitrate didn't really seem to spike yet.... But yea no more ich nor fungus! And no casualties!

Back
Top Bottom