How can I shut this thing up????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible to make a noisy air pump *silent*? The air pump I got with the big tank has a double outlet and I only have one bubble cutrain hooked up. Is this why it sounds like an electric shaver when I plug it in? It is louder than all three of my filters put together... I am thinking of getting a new (quieterr) one but if I don't have to spend the money it would be nice.

I thought an air stone was a neccessity unless we had a planted tank? Don't the fish need the extra oxygen to breathe? It would be nice if I didn't need it... Even though I like the look of the bubbles in there

I have 5 tanks without air stones (granted one of them is still in the works) and all the fish seem fine on oxygen. As long as they aren't gasping for air, they should be fine. But if you want them, that's fine too.

Your filter should provide plenty of surface agitation for your fish... air stones are good if you have to raise the temp for ich or something as it will provide more surface agitation, but otherwise, there's generally no need for one. Take it out, see how the fish do. if they stay up at the top and look like they're gasping for air, then put it back in.. I have never used an air stone (except my first tank, i too thought they were a necessity), and never will...

First off, just hook up some airline (the longer the quieter) to the other outlet. (As mentioned above)(Or buy a Y adapter, and put both outputs to the one airstone you have, you'd have a bubble volcano then!!)

To lessen the humming, put the air pump on something that'll dampen the vibrations. I think people put it on little carpet squares... or I dunno, sometimes putting something heavy on top of it quiets it a bit (depending on what it's sitting on).

An airstone really isn't needed if you have enough surface agitation. Many people argue that airstones don't even put that much Oxygen back in the water anyway. I didn't run an airstone on mine before I planted it, and my fish were fine.

If you like the look of the bubbles, keep them. It can't hurt anything, some fish even like the bubbles. I know theres a vid on here of somebody's fish hanging out in the bubbles, gettin a bubble massage.

Yeah lol my puffer loves to ride the bubbles in the 10 like a roller coaster. I don't have any fish in the tank yet, but like I said I thought an air stone was something I needed. Glad to hear I don't. If I can figure out how to silence this one then I will keep it but if not then it can wait until I have the extra money to get another one.

I do have the pump on a towel but that doesn't help. I tried to put a rag over it, and then I tried to put it up on the window sill and the wall to see if maybe that would make a difference. I will try the extra tubing and see if that works. If not oh well, I am going planted on this one eventually anyways :) Thanks everyone

the extra surface agitation should help with the cycle. so maybe try the extra tubing then take it out when your cycle is complete.

My fish all play in the bubble wands, and one tank has two of them. The only ones that don't are the bettas. ;)
Try folding up an old washrag and sticking it under it. For the one in my room I used a folded up bandana. You could also try some of that foamy non skid stuff that you find in the housewares section of Wally World. :)

I have sponges that my air pumps sittin well i cut the inside so the air pumps sittin and havent had another noisey noise in a while

What I did was I picked up a sheet of foam insulation cut a piece to fit in the back of my tank stand. Quiet as a church mouse. Just cut a small hole for the airline, power cord, ect.

I think I know the air pump your talking about because I have the same one that I used to run (key word....used to) and all I did was cut a piece of electrical tape and stick it over the second unused hole. Quietness

To further enforce the air stone debate...you really only have to worry about the o2 in the water if your raising the temp...above 82-84 IMO

Why not just use both of the air outlets for one air-stone? You can use a T connector to make it work.

First off, just hook up some airline (the longer the quieter) to the other outlet. (As mentioned above)(Or buy a Y adapter, and put both outputs to the one airstone you have, you'd have a bubble volcano then!!)

Like this? :p

img_1125792_0_6c3c2548a6041842c974e99ea7dcd3e6.jpg

The reason it didn't quiet up when you tried to dampen the vibrations is probably because it is not the vibrations causing the extra noise. It is most likely the sound of the air coming out of the unused outlet. Mine is really loud if I have an outlet unused, but if used it will not be so loud. I don't think just attaching a tube to it will keep it completely quiet unless that tube is under water. So, I would suggest doing what I do and what others have suggested. Attach both to one air stone.

I will have to find a bubble curtain with two things then; I have PFS and as far as I know the air stone won't work in sand? If this is true than I will have to find something.

If it isn't true, then, well you learn something new every day!

Thank you for all the good suggestions, and for now I will mess with it and try different things but since I now know it isn't a necessity it isn't on the top of my list.
:D

Actually, the lady I gave my 75G to has a long wand under the sand, probably about 1.5 feet long, and has about 8 bubbles that come up. It looks REALLY cool IMO and she has it under the pfs. No sand storms present! :)

Back
Top Bottom