How long does it take for bacteria to grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up a 75 gallon that I bought. The tank came with a canister filter. I moved the fish from my 55 gallon into my 75 gallon tank. I move the power filter onto the 75 gallon as I want to use it to cycle the canister. How long until I can pull the powerfilter off and leave just the canister? How long will it take for the bacteria I need to grow on the media in the canister?

I would run both filters for about a month. That should enough time for the new colonies to establish.

In the meantime keep an eye on your parameters, to make sure the levels remain acceptable and do necessary water changes.Good luck with the new tank.

In the past in order to speed up the process of bacteria growth I have placed about a gallon (3.78 Liters) into the new tank to give it a good start on bacteria. Using your filter will do the same thing only it may take a little longer.

Water does not hold bacteria like a filter does. A tank can not be cycled just by adding old water.

Back
Top Bottom