How many Angel Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anteatergoanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have a 240 Ltr tank, in it I have
3 Clown Loach
1 Shark
2 catfish
2 bristlenose catfish

I have done some research as it says a tank no smaller than a 75 Ltr for 2 Angels.

So my question is how many Angel Fish could i put in my tank, seeing that I have the other fish in it. I don't want to over stock.
I would want at least 2, I'm told, but the more the better. If i get Angels i would only put 2 in one week and maybe another 2 the week or 2 weeks later.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Imo Your tank is too small for the clown loaches. They can get to be 12 inches and need a 125 gallon tank. Check out aqadvisor to see if your stock will work. Hope this helps!

Yes, i agree, and am looking for a 6 - 8 ft tank at the moment. I believe the tank is okay, at the moment, as they aren't fully grown, but will definately need to upgrade.
Thanks

Hm, well I'd start off with a group of small ones (5 maybe?) and then watch for a pair to form. Keep the pair and re-home/sell the others as they get bigger. That would be ok especially if you are moving the clowns (such nice fish, but so big!)

Thanks V , I think that would be the way to do it, I'm a bit wary about adding more than a few fish at a time tho, don't want an ammonia spike. The boys (loaches) hopefully will have a larger home within a few mths, tho they are certainly happy enough where they are for the moment. I don't think it would hurt to add a few more fish given the sizes of the others.

As long as you test your water and your params are good, that's what is the biggest issue.

In that size tank you can add 6 small angels and you won't have to worry about adding too much of a bio-load for your system. Small angels have a low bio-load. In larger tanks adding at least 6 angels at once tends to keep aggression spread out with no one individual getting picked on solely. Angels mature at 8 months of age so anytime after that they can pair up. I would shoot for keeping 2 pairs max if the tank is going to be nicely planted with some large plants to break up the line of sight and also allowing territory's to be established. I have 9 very large angels in my 220g now, 3 pairs and 1 trio.

Thanks Rivercats, I was really worried about an ammonia spike. I will get 6 in that case, but i would probably only keep one breeding pair.
Appreciate your input.

Well, I bit the bullet and got my 6 Angels, they are beautiful, should of got them sooner. Happy to report no change to parameters, been checking twice a day!!

Back
Top Bottom