how many is too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minzabella

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
... fish for a 29 gallon tank? I have 11 now, but I'd like to put a few more in.. at least some more platys. I had 6, and all but 1 died. the remaining platy seems lonesome to me. :(

how big are your neons? they would be happier with more friends
so if they are small.. maybe 5-7 more neons

and maybe 2? 3? platys

The general rule is "one inch of fish per gallon of water", but there are many loopholes to this rule. How old is the tank? A new tank will normally not support that many fish until the biological filter is developed. The above rule also changes when talking about which kind of fish you have and how good your filtration is. Also, when purchasing fish, watch them in the store for a while to observe general condition. You can also ask the clerk to feed the fish so you can see if they have an appetite. I'd add fish slowly to give your tank time to respond t the added bioloads.

The peppered cories would be the biggest fish, but you could probably still go with another 6 tetra and a couple of platies with good biofiltration...

Check out my tank on my sig and see if that follows the "one inch per gal." rule. :eek:

Rummy-nore tetras get 2 inch long
Neons get one inch
Peppered+ Albino cories get 2.5 to 3 inchs
Platies get like 2 inch and like to have friends so you should get a couple more :)

I'd split the difference between neons and rummy's. Both would be happier with a few more friends. I think you could do three more of each without a problem.

I agree, if you are going to get more fish give the rummies and neons some more friends. I have 6 rummy nose in a 29 gallon and I think that is really a minimum number for them. Same for neons. BTW, neons get bigger than 1 inch, probably about 1 1/2 inch. I have heard that the cories don't really have to count as much as other fish toward bioload because they are such effective cleaners, so you could probably get away with 1 or 2 more platies, just make sure you have something to do with all the fry LOL! :lol: And Soylent Grundy is right, don't add them all at the same time, maybe 3 tetras then wait a week or 2, then 3 more, then a couple platies or something. Make sure you have adequate filtration.
The 1 inch of fish per gallon rule is kinda suspect IMO, it works ok for smaller fish like yours but could you imagine keeping a 10 inch Oscar in a 10 gallon tank? BTW Lance, your 10 gallon is waaaaaay overstocked, what kind of filter do you have?

or you could do what i did, i put glowlight tetras in a tank i used to have and they schooled with my neons and rummy nose!

When I brought up the "one inch per gallon" rule for stocking, I meant that it is not concrete, but is a good idea at least on where you could be. With increased filtration and maintenance, you can exceed this number by quite a bit. Many factors play into how much you can stock a tank.

Back
Top Bottom