how to care for red cherry shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so I have had red cherry shrimp before but this time they are dieing rapidly. my aquarium is set at 79 degrees and it is a 10 gallon with lots of plants. i started with 10 cherry shrimp and now count six dead. i want to know what others feed them and what temperature everyone uses?

How long has the tank been established? Ever use copper or meds in it? What is your water like (pH, hardness, additives, etc.)?

i used an old filter to seed the tank. it was running 3 days with a betta in it. i removed the betta and added shrimp on the 3rd day. i used an algea removal chemical in the aquarium a few years ago that had copper in it but i rinsed the aquarium and cleaned it before setting it up. i fear i may not have done a good enough job. im really uppset and have already lost 30 dollars worth of beautiful shrimp. im so uppset.

I am considering rcs and I was wondering if pygmy cories and otos would eat shrimplets. Also can I add fish and shrimp at the same time?

I'd give it some more time. Rinsing won't remove copper, but on the flipside I have yet to see any actual proof of leeching which is so often heard. Maybe start the tank with endlers or a smaller fish for a few months at least. Shrimp have almost no bioload, but they also don't deal well with any ammonia.

GF- Pygmies and otos should be fine with shrimplets so long as they are fed and the tank has some sort of planting/decor.

I'd give it some more time. Rinsing won't remove copper, but on the flipside I have yet to see any actual proof of leeching which is so often heard. Maybe start the tank with endlers or a smaller fish for a few months at least. Shrimp have almost no bioload, but they also don't deal well with any ammonia.

GF- Pygmies and otos should be fine with shrimplets so long as they are fed and the tank has some sort of planting/decor.
It does. I am hoping to raise a colony before I upgrade. Plus If I could sell some shrimp.... lol

Back
Top Bottom