how to do drip acclimation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just been using the float the bag method but I'm getting some new fish today and I want to use this method to acclimate them as I know its best.

I can't figure it out though. I tried using airline tubing like a siphon but couldn't get it to work.

do I have to buy a kit?

No you shouldn't have to buy a kit. Basically you tie the airline tubing into a few knots and when you get the siphon going you should have a "drip" effect that'll fill up the bag or bucket you're using in an hour.

Ohh. Do I tie it in knots first? And do I start the siphon just like vacuuming the gravel?

What was wrong with the airline tubing? Just make sure the bucket you're acclimating into is below the tank you're removing water from. It actually takes a pretty tight knot to restrict the flow enough. I tie the knot after the syphon is going.

I just typed this yesterday for another member, so excuse the copying and pasting-

- You need a large clean pitcher, a bucket, and a piece of airline tubing (you can just use the bucket if you want. Make sure it wasn't used for cleaning purposes or has soap residue
- Place the pitcher inside the bucket (to catch overflow)
- Place the fish and the water they're in now into the pitcher ( you can add as many fish as will fit comfortably in the pitcher)
- Start a syphon from the new tank (you can just suck on the end)
- Tie a knot or two in the airline tube so it restricts the flow and you get a slow and steady drip (maybe one drip per second)
- Let the pitcher slowly fill. Once full, dump half the water out of the pitcher and let it refill a second time (you can do this as many times as you want
- After that, pour the water out of the pitcher through your net, and catch the fish then place the fish into the new tank without letting the store water into your tank
- Voila! You've drip acclimated them

Drip acclimation isn't always best, but it's pretty simple:

Insert airline tubing into the tank.
Make sure it's secure, perhaps with the lid.
Place bucket or whatever with the fish in it on the floor next to the tank.
Tie a simple knot in the airline tubing, not tight.
Suck on tubing until water out over the tank and ~1/2 way down the tube.
Drop line in bucket
adjust knot to how fast you want the water to come out. You can also use a airline valve.

If you want to catch overflow, you can put a pitcher inside a bucket inside a tote inside a bigger tote on top of some towels. But I wouldn't.

Oh okay thanks!

Haha I used to start the siphon for gravel vacuuming by sucking on the end of the tube...but the last time I did it I got a mouthful of tank water....lol

Just a question - when doing the drip acclimation method to you need to heat the water? they'll be out of any tank for an hour or so at least and the water temp will drop no? or does the drips from your tank keep the water the fish are in sufficiently high?

Back
Top Bottom