How to lower PH ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leggey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was just wondering if anybody had any tips on how to lower PH ? I just tested my water and my PH has gone to 7.4 on my community tank

I have 2 big chunks of bog wood in there, the thing that's strange is that my other tank (same water) is right in the middle of the lower chart :s

Your pH Question

Was just wondering if anybody had any tips on how to lower PH ? I just tested my water and my PH has gone to 7.4 on my community tank

Hello leggey...

Your pH is fine. Most tropical fish are comfortable with a pH in the 6.5 to 8 range, so you don't need to make any changes. You can add some driftwood to the tank. It can generally lower the pH a little, naturally.

B

Driftwood, peat moss, or co2 will lower it. But it's more important that it's stable. 7.4 isn't bad at all. My tap is 8.0. I keep my planted tank at 7.0 but that's only because I have co2 on it and I can lower it.
Just remember stable is better!

I've had some conflicting information from a few different sources. Sorry in advance for my tank info not being filled in, need to pull out the boxes and do some measuring before I can update.

Anyway, my question is, my pH is currently at 8.2-8.4 (that's my tap water level), and I want it to be at 7ish. I am going to be getting natural plants so I want to naturally lower the ph (my pet shop guy recommended a product that I later read isn't suitable for natural plants ?).

Can I use driftwood or do I need bog wood? Also, if I need bog wood, that's not the same as getting the wood from the side of the river, is it? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Your pH question

I've had some conflicting information from a few different sources. Sorry in advance for my tank info not being filled in, need to pull out the boxes and do some measuring before I can update.

Anyway, my question is, my pH is currently at 8.2-8.4 (that's my tap water level), and I want it to be at 7ish. I am going to be getting natural plants so I want to naturally lower the ph (my pet shop guy recommended a product that I later read isn't suitable for natural plants ?).

Can I use driftwood or do I need bog wood? Also, if I need bog wood, that's not the same as getting the wood from the side of the river, is it? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hello K...

Unless you plan to breed rare fish, then your pH isn't a problem. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the vast majority of public water supplies. They have been for many years.

Aquarium fish prefer a higher pH, but you can lower it a bit by using driftwood. The change won't be significant, though.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello K...

Unless you plan to breed rare fish, then your pH isn't a problem. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the vast majority of public water supplies. They have been for many years.

Aquarium fish prefer a higher pH, but you can lower it a bit by using driftwood. The change won't be significant, though.

B

Thanks B! Much appreciated, will pop out and get some tomorrow :)

Hello K...

B
I agree, if you start messing with water chemistry you may run into problems.
If your tap is above 8.0 and the pH adjusts to 7.4 I'd say that's fine. The fish will adjust unless there is an extreme shift.

Amicus said:
If your tap is above 8.0 and the pH adjusts to 7.4 I'd say that's fine. The fish will adjust unless there is an extreme shift.

My ph has be say steadily at above 8.... I guess I can try fish and see what happens.

Peat moss lowers pH, but a friend told me not to. I had the same problem and he said that the co2 that I plan on injecting into the tank will also help lower the pH a bit. So looking into driftwood, peat moss and Co2 injection, see what suits your needs best.

Amicus said:

I have heard this over and over and still have yet to have someone explain to me what kind of problems could arise.
My Ph sits at 8.8, tried the moss and still 8.8, added driftwood and still 8.8, added CO2 and guess what? Still 8.8. I have not found a natural way yet to lower my Ph

Do you think I can make a complaint to my council that the pH in my water is too high and I want them to lower it so that I can have a more stable aquarium? If I write a strongly worded letter they may pay attention to me! ;)

I have heard this over and over and still have yet to have someone explain to me what kind of problems could arise.
My Ph sits at 8.8, tried the moss and still 8.8, added driftwood and still 8.8, added CO2 and guess what? Still 8.8. I have not found a natural way yet to lower my Ph
That's a high pH for municipal water. It can be pretty frustrating when you get a lot of general advice like that. If you start manually adjusting your pH it will turn into something that you will have to continually monitor. When your pH fluctuates it is hard on the inhabitants and throwing the chemistry off in your tank can open you up to everything from large kills to algae problems, there is no one answer for it. How much wood did you add? There are different types of wood out there, maybe try some Mopani wood it is pretty dense but the tannins will help to lower the pH of your water. If you have rocks in your aquascape maybe take them out and try all wood.
Are you adding anything to the tank? What type of filtration are you using and what media do you have in it? Do you have live plants in the tank? What are you using for substrate?
How long did you wait to measure the pH after you added the moss ect.....?

I do not need help with my Ph but thank you anyways Amicus, I was just stating a fact that I have gone the natural route with no results. I am not recommending this but I use a neutral regulator in my tank to keep it down to about 7.6, I have not had a speck of algae, I don't have to keep a close eye on the levels. I have been using it since the beginning and have yet to see the proof that using a chemical will mess with the other levels in the tank.

I do not need help with my Ph but thank you anyways Amicus, I was just stating a fact that I have gone the natural route with no results. I am not recommending this but I use a neutral regulator in my tank to keep it down to about 7.6, I have not had a speck of algae, I don't have to keep a close eye on the levels. I have been using it since the beginning and have yet to see the proof that using a chemical will mess with the other levels in the tank.
Good food for thought, I'm glad its working for you. What regulator are you using?

Amicus said:
Good food for thought, I'm glad its working for you. What regulator are you using?

I use Seachem Neutral Regulator.
Now just because it works for me doesn't mean that I recommend it for everyone, I have an extremely high Ph and had to resort to something for the sake of a few of my fish. I have always advised trying the driftwood first before attempting the chemical. I just have not seen any proof that adding something could affect things in other levels.

I use Seachem Neutral Regulator.
Now just because it works for me doesn't mean that I recommend it for everyone, I have an extremely high Ph and had to resort to something for the sake of a few of my fish. I have always advised trying the driftwood first before attempting the chemical. I just have not seen any proof that adding something could affect things in other levels.
I'm sorry that I don't have any proof of adverse affects from adding chemicals. I'm coming from the school of thought that says if there is a problem it is always better to try and find the source of the problem instead of throwing additives at it. With a pH as high as your source water you have extenuating circumstances, I am not saying its wrong for you to add anything. I add Flourish Excel to my tank, for example.

Back
Top Bottom