How to prep water for top off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no reason to use RO/DI or distilled water when you already have dechlorinator around for your water changes. Dechlorinated water sitting in a jug will work just fine for top offs. JMO ;)

ocminpin said:
I pour my big bottle of prime into a smaller prime bottle with a flip cap so I can put drops of prime in..
2 drops per gal... Makes it easy on a smaller tank..

I do the exact same thing!

My room evaporates water really really fast! I have a 5 gallon in there and want to know how to make water ok for topping off. Can I just leave the pitcher out overnight to dissipate chlorine? I dont want to use Prime for such a small amount of water if I can avoid it.

Do you have a hood or other lid on your tank? That's the best option. I've found that I don't have to top anything off between water changes, but I have either a hood or glass top on all of my tanks.

One other option would be to buy the dropper bottle of API dechlor. It's 3 drops per 2 gallons I believe, so you could just use one drop for your top off water and avoid wasting Prime.

angel4335 said:
I was under the impression it wasn't good to use distilled water in an aquarium?

Well 20 years ago i did. Im surrrre someone can tell you different on here.

I was under the impression it wasn't good to use distilled water in an aquarium?

That's what I've read, too.

Part of the reason you want to do partial water changes is to add trace elements back into your tank for your fish and plants. That's why distilled water isn't recommended, I think.

Back
Top Bottom