How's my tank looking? -Just installed MH lighting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Slowly filling it in with plants, DIY CO2 and excel at the moment, just upgraded to a canister filter. I think its coming along quite nicely, but I need some driftwood. I think I've finally got it stocked to where I want it as well.

Very nice! It will look fantastic when the plants start to fill in. Add a nice branchy piece of wood too. I have a piece of grapevine in my tank right now and it looks way cool. I'm not sure if you're sposed to use the stuff, but i've had it for a year w/no problems. Also, by the picture i can only see 4 tiger barbs...Is that how many there are? How big is the tank? looks pretty good sized. I'd say you should add about 4 more tiger barbs if it is a good sized tank. If you only have 4, there will eventually, if not already, be aggression from them. I say the minimum to keep is 6, that way they wont fight as much, but 8 is better. Also, one looks like a clown loach? If it is, you'll notice it will stay by the tiger barbs quite a bit...at least mine did.

Its beautiful! I have to stop looking at these pictures.. I am very rapidly wanting more and larger tanks! ;) Great job!

Its a 55g, standard size.

No problems whatsoever between the gourami and barbs. Since I have 6 barbs in there (they like to hide out in the wysteria on the left), they leave everyone else alone. I've never seen them pick on another fish, even the rams don't seem to mind them.

I just got done (literally 10mins ago) installing two 175mh fixtures in there too, so now we should see some crazy growth :D

And yes, there should be two clown loaches in there, along with my shy brown knife.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I think I still have more planting to do though, a carpet effect and some moss would look killer.

lol ok wait are u saying u now have 350 watts over the tank? actually it would be more than that once u do the conversion.i am praying u have co2 lol. that is beyond high light i think around 6+ WPG, u are entering lonewolf territory lol. u will see alot of growth in there if thats how much light u have and good co2. cant wait for updates. tank looks awesome.

mr funktastic said:
lol ok wait are u saying u now have 350 watts over the tank? actually it would be more than that once u do the conversion.i am praying u have co2 lol. that is beyond high light i think around 6+ WPG, u are entering lonewolf territory lol. u will see alot of growth in there if thats how much light u have and good co2. cant wait for updates. tank looks awesome.

CO2 will be on its way after I get my paycheck.. for now, I'm gunna have to limit the light schedule, but damn does it show off those fish!

I get paid on the 15th, so T-minus 7 days and counting!

i would strongly suggest on running only 1 light for 8 hours max a day. that is pretty powerful light. what system are u getting? what ferts are u dosing? i hope it all works out.

Hoping to get the milwaukee reg w/ ph controller, and ferts from greg watson (i think thats his name).

Voila! MH! Take a look at the penetration on the substrate.. if you look at the pic on the top of the thread, its not lit up much, but now its glowing about an inch below or deeper from the surface :D

lookin good. i hope it all works. algea can be a real pain in the but. keep an eye on your nitrates. they may bottom out with all that light.

Even if it doesnt work, It'll take me all of 10 minutes to reinstall the old ODNO lighting.

At this point, heat is my biggest concern.

That looks great, but I think the lighting may be too much. I'm afraid you'll wind up with a huge gigantic algae problem.

I have a very close eye on it. I'm well aware of the dangers, and the moment I see any downhill dives, its getting shutoff until I get paid.

Back
Top Bottom